Battery depleted and replacing alternator

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Marnoch

Post by Marnoch » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am

Hi Neddle
Sounds like you had a dead cell in the battery and now resolved I hope.

I have had no issues with the battery charge amount after making sure I drive with the headlights on to get over the Honda ECU control circuit. I did try the disconnect battery and short out the battery leads so that the ecu and car rebooted (causes the radio to check if correct) I saw the charging system work OK on the short first drive until I restarted the car and it went back to not charging correctly.
I have seen thoughts of using the rear heated screen and mirrors to get the battery charged but they are on a timer.

I'm not worried about the stop/start not working but still seeking a method to resolve this problem.

Avoid the RAC as they don't reply to resolving problems and now have a bad list of reviews if you search.

Marnoch (Min) G0JMS

supertaff

Post by supertaff » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 am

My first sign of the dreaded start-stop problem not working . Only been happening in the last few days not sure were I stand under warranty as only bought the car last June off Honda approved with a full years warranty . Only mention it as I know there seem to be a lot of comments on here about the same problem and Honda don`t seem to do that much about it . so i like to ask your views on the matter as I personally don`t think there is no point in taking it to Honda for them to tell me it need a new battery as i bet you that's what they will say as that is not covered under a warranty and charge me for a over priced battery .

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:21 am

I presume that the stop-start system is showing the crossed-out battery symbol? Are you using the vehicle on a daily basis? I found that 3 or more days on non-use was enough to drop the battery charge sufficient for the stop-start to think the battery was low because it failed some test on initial starting but if one stopped and restarted after a couple of miles then the system was happy again. Another potential fix is to disconnect then reconnect the battery. This causes the ECU to assume that the battery has been replaced and needs to be fully charged. Otherwise Honda's too-clever charge management system often fails to put enough charge into the battery when the vehicle is in use thinking is improving fuel efficiency by some insignificantly small amount (and much less than the loss when stop-start is not working).

If your stop-start system is showing the crossed-out A/C symbol then it means that the engine can't go to sleep as it's needed to power the aircon or, more likely as we move into colder weather, the heating. Enabling Eco mode increases the allowable difference between target and actual cabin temperature while another measure is to turn the heater fan off before coming to a stop.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

supertaff

Post by supertaff » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 pm

Yes it is the crossed out battery symbol, and i use the car every day also did a 100 mile drive and still no joy . I will disconnect the battery and see if that helps .

Needle

Post by Needle » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:16 am

Hi Marnoch just thanks for your reply it’s been 2 weeks or so since I fitted the replacement battery ( cox motor parts) & I’m pleased to say no problems now.
I do hope you get to the bottom of your issue 👍
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post