Digital Radio Reception

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
dipstick

Digital Radio Reception

Post by dipstick » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 am

I have a 2016 HR-V Petrol EX I-VTEC CVT and live in Devon UK so mostly drive around in that area. The Digital radio reception is about useless and seriously poorer than I used to receive on my previous Audi A4.

Does anyone have a suggestion I may be doing something wrong or any ideas how to inprove the reception please.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Apart from that a brilliant car so far, prefer it to the Audi.

MartinLB

Re: Digital Radio Reception

Post by MartinLB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:11 pm

I've got the 2017 EX and generally find DAB a pain as moving around interferes with reception more than I would like. Normally I'll listen to my music stored on a flash drive, listening to someones' choice is never a good idea
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 pm

DAB is very patchy in rural areas which is why the plan to phase out FM has been quietly kicked into the long grass. Are you sure that the Audi was using DAB in the signal notspots or was it switching over to FM without you noticing?

I'm the same as Martin and have a flash drive loaded with my own music set to random play and this only gets interrupted when there are traffic announcements.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 am

Thank you Martin & John, yes I too have a flash drive loaded with my own choice of music and entertainment but it's the radio programmes I'm looking for too.

Yes pretty confident the Audi did'nt flip to FM as the channels I'm looking for, I'm sure, don't broadcast nationwide on FM, only digital. I guess it must have been a somewhat stronger receiver in some way as the aerial looked about the same.

Thank for your suggestions.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:32 am

It's more likely to be the antenna as the whole point of the digital signal is that is is either there, and can be amplified, or not there. A comment at the bottom of this https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/adv ... adio-guide indicates that what is inside an antenna does make a difference.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Right, so if I assume all digital car radios are created equal would anyone happen to know how the Sharks Fin Antenna/Aerial and it's innards, fitted to my HR-V compares to the Calearo ANC7677932 Digital Radio DAB/ AM/FM Roof Mount Antenna at £100 ?

I guess the quality of the terminations and the cable will also play a part in the receivers ability to receive a signal too, it would be good to know as £100 and all the work fitting a replacement seems a bit of a leap of faith, not knowing how the results will pan out.

Any advice experience appreciated.

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:00 am

I only listen to DAB when parked up, and tend not to have any audio playing when driving, so my experience and knowledge of DAB is a little lacking to say the least.

Last week after collecting my vehicle from the dealership I could not get anything on DAB. Whilst having a play around of the system (I think I hit the MENU button whilst in DAB) the following options came up;
DAB-DAB Link,
DAB-FM Link and
Band Select.

Page 341 of the Owners Manual gives a description of what each option does.

Perhaps one of these options may be of benefit to you, before splashing the cash on a new aerial? In my case both DAB links were set to ON, and the Band Select was to set to BOTH. By the time I had finished having a look around DAB was back up and running as normal.

HTH

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks very much HTH I looked for the page in my manual but of course it was on a different page in my book, even the radio in my car was different to the radio shown in it's own original manual. Anyway I found the appropriate setting and it was set already to take account of finding all available transmissions of the stations (I think)

I find the menues for the Honda car radio quite difficult to follow, I feel confident other have found the same, oh well the vehicle has many other redeeming graces.

I would image it would be very difficult to determine the comparative effectiveness of the standard antenna fitted by Honda to the presumably superior Calearo ANC7677932 Digital Radio DAB/ AM/FM Roof Mount Antenna, not to mention it likely being a tricky job to exchange it. Looking on eBay there are all sorts of antenna amplifiers fitted to Audi vehicles maybe that's why reception was seemingly better in my old car.

It would seem to me that the whole Digital radio affair in Brittain has been a complete flop and a lemon. At home we use nothing but internet radio which is just marvellous for us.

Good luck

Pete D

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:57 pm

I'm pretty certain you can play your internet radio via the cars Bluetooth system.

Connect your phone via Bluetooth, open your Internet Radio app, select Bluetooth audio and you should be away.

I just went out to my vehicle to see if I could get Amazon Music to play via Bluetooth, and it worked perfectly. It displayed the artist and song and I could even change tracks via the controls on the Connect Screen.

The downside to this is my wife is now compiling a playlist of tracks for the next time we're on a long journey...... B(

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 am

Hadleys Taxi wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:57 pm
I'm pretty certain you can play your internet radio via the cars Bluetooth system.

Connect your phone via Bluetooth, open your Internet Radio app, select Bluetooth audio and you should be away.

I just went out to my vehicle to see if I could get Amazon Music to play via Bluetooth, and it worked perfectly. It displayed the artist and song and I could even change tracks via the controls on the Connect Screen.

The downside to this is my wife is now compiling a playlist of tracks for the next time we're on a long journey...... B(

Regards,

HT
Hope you've got a good data plan on your phone :) .
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual