Vehicle tracking

All Honda HR-V related discussions
beardyrich

Vehicle tracking

Post by beardyrich » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:43 am

Guys, I live on a new development and recently there have been some car thefts in the area. Mostly BMW cars with keyless entry. Does anyone know if it’s possible to locate or track HRVs with Hondalink?
Has anyone had a tracker fitted and what would you recommend?
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.

John Ratsey

Re: Vehicle tracking

Post by John Ratsey » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 pm

I suspect that you need the Honda Plus feature https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/my- ... html..html which is available on the new Jazz. It likely utilises the embedded SIM card which is an EU requirement for new vehicles so that the emergency services can be automatically notified in the event of a major accident. This SIM makes it feasible for the App to ask a Honda server to ask the vehicle for its location.

However, you can check if the facility to turn off the keyless remote for the new Jazz also works with older Honda vehicles with keyless entry. The procedure is: Hold down both the lock and unlock buttons for a few seconds until the LED on the remote flashes. After this the remote is disabled (so a man-in-the-middle attack won't work) until one of the buttons is pressed. If this doesn't work then storing the remote in a Faraday cage is an alternative and, if that isn't convenient, then take comfort in the fact that Honda vehicles are less attractive to the car thieves than the German "premium" brands (which are often stripped and anything removable exported as spare parts).
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:50 pm

I looked at HondaLink/MyHonda when I purchased my HR-V in March this year, but for the most part it duplicates what I already get with my Carlock Tracker https://www.carlock.co/ which I had purchased for my previous vehicle.

One thing to consider is the downside to an effective faraday device is that it is effective. If someone is intent on having your vehicle and they cannot achieve that by non intrusive means then there is every possibility they may resort to an intrusive theft; they break into your home and confront the owner. This method was quite common around the local developments around here.

If possible, I would recommend fitting a CCTV system backed up with decent security lights covering the approaches to your home and where you park your vehicle. If you do consider this, I would contact your local council and Crime Prevention Officer to see what their policies and regulations are on fitting such systems. I have recently purchased a 6 camera system for not much more than I paid nearly 10 years ago for my 5 camera system from the same manufacturer, yet the advances in its ability and functionality is night and day; https://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-845806v - a quick search will save you a few £00 on a similar system.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Well, after watching a programme on TV about car theft, I’ve decided not to waste my money on a tracker. They can easily be disabled by plugging in a signal blocker into the car’s 12v supply like a cigarette lighter socket. We have a video doorbell as do some of our neighbours, but facial recognition isn’t easy when the perpetrators wear hoods etc. My keys are kept in a faraday pouch but I might consider a steering wheel lock too.
It’s not like the old days when you whipped out the rotor arm to foil any drive off theft! So much for progress!
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.