Traffic Sign Recognition - Predermined Time and Distance

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Hadleys Taxi

Traffic Sign Recognition - Predermined Time and Distance

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm

Afternoon All,

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone on the forum knows what the 'predetermined time and distance' (page 446 of the manual) was that clears the displayed traffic sign?

Although my previous vehicle did not have TSR, its replacement and other models in the range did, and my uderstanding of the system from comments by its users was that traffic signs were permanently displayed until replaced by a different speed limit or warning. Of my admittedly limited use of the system so far, the signs seem to only be displayed for no more than around 10 seconds (if that!) before I get a blank display.

The only thing of note I have to say about TSR is that it seems extremely keen to pick up speed limits and warning signs from side streets and slip roads. That must cause a few squeaky bum moments for people who use the Intelligent Speed Limiter!

Many thanks.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

MartinLB

Re: Traffic Sign Recognition - Predermined Time and Distance

Post by MartinLB » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:39 pm

I have noticed that side street signs can sometimes "catch you out" but its not the end of the world, now when I know when its likely to happen I cancel then re-apply, but it's not often enough to cause concern, after all there's no such thing as perfection.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

John Ratsey

Re: Traffic Sign Recognition - Predermined Time and Distance

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:11 pm

I only look at the display to check what was the last speed limit seen by the car. However, that display turns into a couple of dashes after what maybe half a mile or so (I've nevr tried to measure it). I'm usually looking for guidance in an urban area with street lights and the speed limit might be 20, 30, 40 or even 50 mph. The default is 30 mph and there should be repeater signs if the limit is anything else but those signs can be sparse.

Once I noticed that neither the speed limit signage and the recognition thereof are perfect I've never considered using the intelligent speed limiter. The recognition system also can't correctly interpret the advance warning signs of a speed limit as these are displayed as the speed limit.

Given that the system in the HR-V is the same as in the Mk 3 Jazz I'm wondering if the system in the Mk 4 Jazz has addressed these bugs.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT