Is the 1.5 iVTEC a Naturally Noisy Engine?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Hadleys Taxi

Is the 1.5 iVTEC a Naturally Noisy Engine?

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri May 15, 2020 12:24 am

Evening All,

I have had my HR-V for just over 2 months now, and due to the lockdown I have not had a chance to drive it on either a regular basis or for long periods. However, yesterday I managed to take the car on a fairly long journed (by lockdown standards!) of 15 miles and I could not help but notice just how noisy the engine was. My wife does not normally notice such things, but even she agreed the engine noise was noticeable. We could still have a conversation in the car without raising our voices, nor is it as noisy as my previous 10 year old Octavia diesel. It just does not appear to be as quiet as I would expect a petrol engine to be. The engine sounds gruff and a little tappety, noticeable inside the vehicle and whilst standing adjacent to the wing mirrors and bulkhead. There also seems to be a resonance coming from near the end of the tailpipe.

My only experience of driving a petrol engined car over the last 7 years is the various Skoda Fabia 1.0 TSi's courtesy vehicles which were whisper quiet in comparison. The only other thing to add, is unless I'm misreading it, when I check the engine oil level, I'm getting readings above the maximum level, see attached image.

Engine Oil Overfilled HR-V Forum.jpg

2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

Theninjagecko

Re: Is the 1.5 iVTEC a Naturally Noisy Engine?

Post by Theninjagecko » Fri May 15, 2020 11:34 am

My 1.6 diesel is noisy but I think it's more of the cabin not being sound proved by the foot well as good as it should be.

Its then first thing I noticed coming from my 1 series was how damn loud it is.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 pm

My 1.5 HR-V's engine is very quiet up to around 2500 rpm, slightly noticeable between there and 3000 rpm and then very noticeable. I think the iVTEC system opens more valves at around 3000 rpm in order to deliver more power and that comes with more noise. Given that my HR-V spends 95% of its time in the quiet zone (ie below 2500 rpm) the occasional extra noise reminds me that there's extra power available when needed.

However, the underlying problem is that Honda isn't as generous with the noise insulation as some other manufacturers. Perhaps to save a little weight or perhaps to give the interior a little more space. I might be imagining it but I think Honda added active noise cancelling to the current production as a way round this constraint.

I've been on my bike a lot recently and sometimes think, based on the engine noise, there's a van just behind me. Then a car goes past! The cabin might be well insulated but the external noise sounds agricultural.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Fri May 15, 2020 1:43 pm

John Ratsey wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 pm
I might be imagining it but I think Honda added active noise cancelling to the current production as a way round this constraint.

Yes they did John. I'm not sure how effective it is as I have nothing to compare it with and I don't think you can disable it.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri May 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks all for your responses.

It is probably down to still getting used to the HR-V after driving my last car for nearly 10 years, lack of use due to the lockdown, and paraphrasing Doug De Muro, getting used to its quirks and features. I'm off shopping in a few hours so I'll take a slightly longer route and see if it is as noticeable, if so, what are the conditions for it; particular gear, speed, revs etc.

Just a couple of points for clarification, from the poorly taken image in my first post, should I be concerned the oil level appears to be over the black Maximum mark? And should i hear a tappety noise from the engine?

Once again, thanks all.

Stay safe.

HT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Mon May 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Quick update on this.

Drove the car on Friday night and the vehicle was still relatively noisy. Forgot to mention in previous threads that my wife and I could both hear a whine coming from the front of the car whilst I was accelerating or the vehicle was decelerating when I took my foot off the accelerator. The last time I experienced this was on a previous vehicle when I had an after market head unit installed.

Took the car for a fairly long drive on Sunday whilst out walking the dogs and doing a 'topping up' shop and the car was so much quieter that even my wife commented on it. No whine when accelerating or decelerating, no noticeable 'tappity' noise, although there engine was still a little less refined than I was expecting it was a lot quieter than before.

Here are a few things to note about the difference between driving the car on Thursday and Fricay compared to Sunday;

All four indicator LED's had been removed and replaced by the original halogen bulbs.
The car had been driven more regularly and for longer periods prior to Sunday than it had prior to Thursday.
Put a bottle of this https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-s ... treatment/ in the tank on Saturday.

Not driven the vehicle since, but here's hoping that one,or all, of the above has resolved the issue.

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Mon May 18, 2020 5:33 pm

Regarding the oil level, I checked my HR-V today. I had first run the engine for a few minutes and then let the engine stand for a few minutes before checking the oil (in response to this question). On first inspection the oil was up to the bent metal part of the dipstick so I cleaned it and checked again. No mistake! It is more than the distance between the two marks above the top mark.

HR-V dipstick.jpg

HR-V dipstick. Apologies for the poor focus - the camera insisted on focussing on the background.
I'll have to contact the dealer - the vehicle has done very few miles since the last service (only the trip home). I have to wonder if an impatient technician didn't let all the old oil drain out before refilling with the recommended quantity. This hypothesis is supported by the colour of the oil being darker (see photo) than I would expect for 5 miles since the service.

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Mon May 18, 2020 6:36 pm

I see your poorly focused image, and raise you mine!.

However, you can see from the attached image that the oil on the dipstick is lighter than yours, and my vehicle has driven anywhere between 300 - 600 miles since it was serviced, and it only goes slightly over the Max marker.

Do not know about Honda, but it was common practice for Skoda dealers not to drain the oil but to use an oil extraction pump.

Engine Oil Overfilled (2) HRV Forum.jpg

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

I contacted my dealer and took the HR-V in today. The service manager agreed that the oil level was too high and sitting just above the wiggly bit on the dipstick. His worry was not that it would hurt the engine but that the technician, who was experienced but had recently come from Citroen, had been assuming that the wiggly bit was the fill level indicator and hence would have put too much oil in the vehicles he serviced which would be an unbillable cost.

Anyway, while I was waiting, I looked at a couple of Mk 4 Jazzes which had arrived a few hours earlier. You can see photos at https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12085.0 . I'm interested in the Crosstar which is higher than the normal Jazz but slightly lower, and about 20cm shorter, than the HR-V. My interpretation of the test data is that the Crosstar with Honda's hybrid system could give me about 40% better mpg.