Second Hand Expectations

All Honda HR-V related discussions
Hadleys Taxi

Second Hand Expectations

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:16 pm

Afternoon all,

At the beginning of March this year I purchased my 2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 IVTEC SE with approximately 32.5k miles on the odometer.

During the buying process I highlighted two deep chips on the bodywork that I felt should have been taken care of before the vehicle was put up for sale. On the day of collection I highlighted the chips were still there, to which the salesperson responded he thought the bodyshop had taken care of them when they were prepping the vehicle. The salesperson then went away and filled the chips in with a touch up pen. Not ideal, but as I was more than happy with the deal, I thought I would just get those two chips dealt with by a SMART Repair company.

However, since my vehicle has been laid up due to the Corona Virus lockdown over the last few weeks I have noted the following:

• The Off Side Rear door protective rubber stopper is missing. The selling dealership have been aware of this issue since 18 March 2020, and agreed to send out a replacement. However, I am still waiting on receiving this.
• The brakes squeal when coming to a stop. These have been examined by the selling dealership and deemed to be acceptable. I, however, disagree.
• There is an approximate 3cm tear in the Near Side Front foot well carpet.
• The Front Seat Passenger Head Restraint locking mechanism is defective in that it does not lock the head restrain in place, and its innards are in pieces.
• There are several large paint chips on the Near Side Front Door, some deep enough to expose the metal underneath.
• There are several large paint chips on the Off Side Rear Door, some deep enough to expose the metal underneath.
• The Near Side Front door sill has several scratches, some deep enough to expose the metal underneath.
• The plastic surround covering the instrument binaclel is loose and can come away when cleaning the dash.
• The 12v socket in the boot does not work. The other two all work and I am aware the key has to be in the ignition for them to work.

To put the chipped bodywork into perspective, there are more deep and noticeable paint chips on this 4 year old and reasonably low mileaged vehicle than on my near 10 year old and 110k mile trade in. It also did not help that of the three Honda Accessories I requested the dealership fit, two of them they either fitted the entirely wrong item, or an item for a different Spec.

Disregarding the issue with the accessories, am I being unreasonable with my expectations that the items I have bullet pointed should not be present on a Honda Approved Used Vehicle?

Yours,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

ColinS

Re: Second Hand Expectations

Post by ColinS » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm really not sure how much the cosmetic aspects are covered by the Honda Approved Used Vehicle scheme but putting those aside, I am fairly confident that any mechanical or electrical defects should be covered.

The Front Seat Passenger Head Restraint locking mechanism being defective is in my opinion a safety issue as the restraint needs to be locked into position as described under the safety checklist on pages 37 and 199 of the owners manual.

You would be justified in expecting the 12v socket to work.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

cb550

Post by cb550 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Surprising a Honda main dealer would let a vehicle out the door with what sounds like a significant number of paintwork issues, not to mention the other problems.

Our car's a '67 plate with <20k miles, bought from the main dealer at Poole. Had the car approx 3 months and not found any issues so far. The paintwork appears fine.

The only point I raised with the dealership was that there was a cheap replacement front tyre fitted, and the other was low on tread. They replaced both tyres and serviced the car together with 12 months mot, although it still had 5 months or so till 3 years old. Price was 16k.

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for the responses.

I was prepared to let the two most obvious paint chips slide and get them repaired at my own expense due to getting a really good deal with the vehicle. However, with the faults and defects I have subsequently discovered since purchasing the vehicle, one of them being safety related, that initial reluctance is waining somewhat.

It's not as if it is just one or two deep chips; there are at least five on the NSF door, 3 or 4 on the OSR door, 2 on the OSF door, several on OSF door sill and several long scratches on the OSR quarter panel. That is just the deep ones, the minor scratches I have dealt with myself with the aid of T-Cut including 3 long 'scuff marks' where it would appear someone dragged either a garden hose or petrol pump across the rear hatch.

The reason I did not spot these paint issues during the test drive (this in itself was a bit of a cluster between two Honda dealerships!) was due to the vehicle being driven up to my home from a dealership over 50 miles away, so by the time the vehicle arrived it was covered in winter road grime. Even going over it with a hose, he grime was so well caked on I may as well have not bothered.

Anyway, I've made Honda UK aware of the above issues and some other issues I experienced before and after purchasing the vehicle. I just wanted to guage whether I was being unreasonable with my expectations with my new (to me) purchase.

Many thanks,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:52 pm

I would expect "Honda Approved" to mean that the vehicle is in full working order ie the head restraint and the 12V socket should be working. I don't know if there's a checklist of each and every item to be checked. If there is a list then it might not be very detailed.

Cosmetic problems, however, might be considered to be fair wear and tear and subject to whatever is agreed between seller and buyer. I would note than Honda aren't generous with the final coat of paint and stone chips etc., quickly expose the primer. A pot of touch-up paint is the first thing I buy in an attempt to keep things looking tidy but I don't think any of the chips have ever exposed the primer. The loose plastic surround to the instrument binnacle can't be fobbed off as cosmetic so I would also put that one on the essential list. It's probably a missing or broken fixing. 2016 HR-Vs might not be quite as bad as the 2015 production in terms of build quality but the factory in Mexico was still working its way up the learning curve.

The current lockdown situation makes it difficult for the dealer to fix the problems you have identified, but have they expressed willingness to do so once the situation improves? Try to haggle for a set of rubber mats in compensation for the inconvenience and disappointment. For me, they are part of any agreement to buy a vehicle.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 pm

I had previously owned a 2003 Honda Civic SE Executive for nearly 7 years, and when I traded that in against my Octavia Scout, the first thing I commented on was just how much better the quality of the Skoda paint was against the Civic. In its defence, the Civic's paint did hold up remarkably well when I took it with me when I was drafted to Gibraltar for 30 months, even more so when you consider it was parked right next to the sea and a busy civilian and military airport.

I'm pretty maxed out when it comes to accessories for the vehicle. As part of the purchase price the dealership agreed to supply and fit front and rear mud flaps and the dog guard, and I would pay for them to supply and fit the Boot Sill Protection and replace the fabric mats for the rubber ones. Unfortunately when I went to collect the car they had fitted the HR-V bumper guard instead of the Boot Sill Protection, so it was agreed I would handover the the set of RGM Bumper Protectors I had already purchased in lieu of payment for the ones fitted by mistake by the dealer. I wasn't complaining, the official Honda ones were twice the price of the ones I purchased. And due to them fitting the dog guard for vehicles fitted with the flexible tonneau cover instead of the parcel shelf, I got them to exchange the parcel shelf for the flexible cover which I was going to have to purchase anyway due to nearly always having dogs in the boot, and I would still have to find storage space for the parcel shelf.

As far as the paint chips go, due to the lockdown I cannot get anyone to give me quotes on repairing them, but I'm a little worried just how much that is actually going to cost to put right. I'm also not sure how accomodating the selling dealership will be towards my complaint as they were quite obstructive when it came to rectifying the situation with the wrong dog guard being fitted. They were pretty insistent that I just had to accept not having any form of cover or shelf in the boot area as the incorrect dog guard blocked off the space where it was supposed to rest against. It was only when I insisted they look at the Honda UK Accessories web page that I was finally able to convince them they had installed the wrong dog guard. They admitted they were unaware there were two for the HR-V.

Let's see what Honda UK have to say.

Once again, many thanks for your responses.

Regards,

HT

Mooris Castle - Jemena de la Frontera (29).jpg

Steve_m

Post by Steve_m » Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 am

Hadleys Taxi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 pm
And due to them fitting the dog guard for vehicles fitted with the flexible tonneau cover instead of the parcel shelf, I got them to exchange the parcel shelf for the flexible cover which I was going to have to purchase anyway due to nearly always having dogs in the boot, and I would still have to find storage space for the parcel shelf.
Your car is fitted with the correct dog guard and is the only one of the two dog guards that would fit. (your car has the hard parcel shelf supports)

Neither dog guard would let you re-fit the hard parcel shelf, so actually by you having the flexible shelf and that dog guard is the only option you would have to be able to fit both at the same time.

cb550

Post by cb550 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Might not come to this, however when I took our civic to a local bodyshop for an informal quote to have a number of scratches around the car repaired, a figure of £700 plus was discussed. The work needed included due to 'keying' along the nearside front, back doors and rear wing, plus where someone during the night had dragged our garden trailor along the offside of the car and the metal mudguard had 'scored 'that side also.

The paintwork was polished metal. I tried all sorts of different 'magic pens' but these can never work when the scratch goes through to the primer. I bodged them by spraying the affected areas with a 'rattle can' and after a week or so rubbed them back with t cut using a flat face and cloth. The original paint/laquer was harder, so what happened was, as the t cut took off the over spray the paint was left in the scratches.

The finish was presentable for what was an older car, but would never really do for anything else

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri May 01, 2020 4:21 pm

@Steve_m

My only experience of carrying dogs in my vehicles prior to purchasing the HR-V was with my Octavia Scout, which due to being an estate had a retractable cover which was the perfect solution whether you were carrying dogs or not.

I'm intrigued as to why Honda went to the expense of time, money and effort in creating two dog guards for the same vehicle if neither offers any real benefit over the other. It is not as if they offer the option to purchase the Flexible Tonneau Cover via their accessories website. I had seen videos on YouTube where the rear parcel shelf could be removed and slid down behind the rear seats, which is what I thought I would be able to do with mine if the Dog Guard for model with Rear Under Shelf had been fitted. The retractable flexible cover as fitted to the Civic would have also have been a better solution than choosing between parcel shelf, and no parcel shelf. I never gave this much thought when purchasing the vehicle as all the other vehicles I looked at you could either store the shelf under a false boot floor or behind the rear seats. As it turned out by default, I think I have the ideal solution now, however, the fact that I was able to convince the dealership they had installed the wrong dog guard, when possibly they hadn't, shows just how confusing it is.

@cb550

I did something similar when treating the various rust spots on my 1988 Rover 216, except I did it with a brush. I was not that fussed about how it looked as I only used the vehicle as a means to get me home at the weekend, however, this one is a 'keeper'. I just have to wait and see what Honda UK say,

Many thanks,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sat May 02, 2020 10:26 am

Regarding the paint chips, I haven't used these people https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ but have read favourable comments about them. For anything that isn't DIY paint touch-up then check if you have a local branch.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT