Charge battery

Honda HR-V How To
OldandNew

Charge battery

Post by OldandNew » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:12 am

I want to keep my 2019 HR-V battery topped up during self-isolation. The manual says to remove the terminals while charging, but the positive terminal has appears to be linked to another bolt.
Help in this matter would be very much appreciated, as I don't want to do something that might cause problems with the electrical system.
Further to this, as the battery is maintenance free there is no way to vent a cell while charging,hopefully this doesn't matter/
Thanks for any help offered.

John Ratsey

Re: Charge battery

Post by John Ratsey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04 pm

I think the recommendation to disconnect the battery is a standard bit of paper armour which might be pertinent if you have a very old charger with a transformer or a high-powered charger (in which case just disconnecting the -ve terminal isolates the battery from the vehicle electrics).

I'm using this 1.5A charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B9CFV7V which claims to have some intelligence and is suitable for modern batteries. I just connect to the battery in-situ with the -ve clip on the battery end of the earth strap (not directly to the terminal) so that the battery sensor can see what's happening. I find that my HR-V's battery drops to 11.8V after about 10 days of non-use and have to regularly do a top-up in order to keep the stop-start system happy. It needs a whole day of charging as after an initial higher rate of charging the charger goes into trickle mode.

An alternative, if the vehicle is away from a convenient power socket but gets some daily sunshine, is to use a solar charger (connect to to the battery or to the OBDII port as the lighter socket is disconnected when the key is out of the vehicle).
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

OldandNew

Post by OldandNew » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Thank you Mr. Ratsey for your reply. You've have explained everything so clearly. I am going to look at the link you posted and check the charger out. I didn't feel happy about using a standard charger so thanks again.

alanhr-v

Post by alanhr-v » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 pm

Well my HRV has been standing since the 19 April and started first time this morning. I did about 10 miles on my round trip and notices the stop/start was working on my way home. Can't see a problem with mine.
HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC EX. CVT. White Orchid Pearl.
Previous- HR-V 1.5 I-VTEC EX. MAN. Sporty Blue.
Civic 1.8 I-VTEC EX. MAN. Alabaster Siver.
Two Jazz EX

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 pm

alanhr-v wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 pm
Well my HRV has been standing since the 19 April and started first time this morning. I did about 10 miles on my round trip and notices the stop/start was working on my way home. Can't see a problem with mine.
Might you mean 19th March? Maybe the luck of the draw means that you've got a better battery than mine. Anyway, I reckon there's going to be a lot of drivers looking for new batteries once the lockdown is over as lead-acid batteries don't like being left in a low state of charge.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

alanhr-v

Post by alanhr-v » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 pm

:) :) I meant 19th March. Loosing track of days when one has nothing to do. Anyways I have never had to charge the battery on either of the HRV's I've owned and they were often standing for at least a week at a time.
HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC EX. CVT. White Orchid Pearl.
Previous- HR-V 1.5 I-VTEC EX. MAN. Sporty Blue.
Civic 1.8 I-VTEC EX. MAN. Alabaster Siver.
Two Jazz EX

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi, We're at the end of week 6 here and started the car for the first time today just to move it out of the garage for some access, started first turn of the key no problems :-) but then we've not had problems with ours (2017 petrol EX)
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver