USB Ports Not Charging Accessories

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Hadleys Taxi

USB Ports Not Charging Accessories

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Morning all,

Used my recently acquired HR-V on a fairly long drive, during which I used my TomTom VIA 53 for navigation.

All was well on the journey down, but fairly shortly after the journey back up the TomTom indicated a low battery warning even though it was connected to one of the USB ports under the centre console via a retractable micro usb lead. When I took the lead out and back in again the TomTom initially showed it was being charged and then began showing the Empty Battery warning.

As a consequence of this I disconnected the TomTom and placed my mobile (Samsung Galaxy S9) into the CD slot mobile phone holder, attached it to the other USB port under the central console via a retractable USB C lead, entered my destination into the downloaded Sygic satnav app and set off. During the journey I noted the S9 was not holding its charge. It was going down slowly, but over a fairly long journey of a few hours the phone would have ran out of battery.

Whenever I connect the phone to be charged in the car using the same procedure above, the S9 is charged without any issues,even when connected to the Honda Connect.

I would have thought that most USB ports in vehicles would be set up to charge devices being used for satnav and wifi hotsposts, so I'm a little surprised that if I choose to use my phone for satnav I'm going to have to charge it via my TomTom 12v Fast Charger.

Also, the fact the USB port does not charge the TomTom at all is a little baffling.

One thing to note, all three 12v sockets do not operate unless the ignition key is turned one notch. Is this correct, as I used to still be able to use my 12v Tyre Inflator without having to put the key in the ignition on my Skoda Octavia?

Many thanks,

HT.

Steve_m

Re: USB Ports Not Charging Accessories

Post by Steve_m » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:17 pm

The ignition or accessory position has to be on for power to be at the USB ports, the audio can be turned on for a set period without the key, this would then power the USB ports, but will power off to save the battery after a set time. The power out of the USB ports is only low power, it is not enough to power an iPad for example and using a phone with a navigation app the power level may only just hold its own.

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:01 pm

USB ports may offer trickle charging, full charging or no charging at all. I'm not sure what the ones in the HR-V do but I'm pretty sure that they charge.

Most cables will transmit data and charge devices however there are cables on the market that will only do one or the other. Data only cables totally omit terminals one and four, and power only cables omit terminals two and three.

Firstly I would try a different cable.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:43 pm

I use the left USB port for a flash drive for playing music (as shown in the handbook) while the right USB port has no problem powering my 6" TomTom satnav. It's posslble that the left port has a low power rating. If neither USB port will power the satnav then there's something wrong with your vehicle. If you plug a phone in does it show it as charging? Also try s different cable for the satnav.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Many thanks for all of your responses.

I purchased one USB C and one Micro USB retractable cables for my S9 and TomTom to avoid having cables hanging everywhere, but it would appear the retractable one for the TomTom is not up to snuff as I have just tried it with the nearly 1m cable supplied with the device and it charges. So I'm just going to have to put up with my 1st World Problem of Aversion to Cable Clutter.

I have tried the retractable USB C in my laptop and it charges as well as transfers data, so it must be the USB port in the vehicle cannot cope with the cable. The USB port has no issues when I use my Anker USB C cable and charges my phone no problem. The real test will be when I use the phone for satnav!

Is it the same situation with the 3 x 12v sockets as for the 2 x front USB ports in that the key has to be in the ignition for them to work?

Once again, many thanks for your responses.

Regards,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:02 pm

The retractable cable most likely has thinner conductors and hence can't deliver enough power to keep the TomTom happy. If you only need a 60cm (for example) cable then look on ebay.

I'm 99.9% sure that all the 12V sockets power down when the vehicle is switched off. Otherwise there's the risk of a flat battery when something left plugged in has leaked power. The front socket (which I use for the dashcam) definitely goes off as this is a signal to the dashcam to shut down.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm

John Ratsey wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:02 pm
The retractable cable most likely has thinner conductors and hence can't deliver enough power to keep the TomTom happy. If you only need a 60cm (for example) cable then look on ebay.

I'm 99.9% sure that all the 12V sockets power down when the vehicle is switched off. Otherwise there's the risk of a flat battery when something left plugged in has leaked power. The front socket (which I use for the dashcam) definitely goes off as this is a signal to the dashcam to shut down.
The 12v sockets do disconnect with ignition off, I use my boot one for our caravan fridge supply, and mid cabin for rear dash cam, and they like the front one (also dash cam) power down with ignition.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:46 am

Excellent, so all sockets are behaving as they should.

Many thanks.

HT