Hello from Hadleys Taxi!

New to the Honda HR-V Forums? Introduce yourself here
Hadleys Taxi

Hello from Hadleys Taxi!

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Recently moved from a 2010 Skoda Octavia Scout to a 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE in Brilliant Sporty Blue.

Glad I made the change, but I am still getting used to the lighter ballet shoe touch required for the accelerater pedal on this car compared to the hob nailed boot approach to the 2.0 diesel lump in my last car.

One thing that nearly put me off the HR-V is that in my normal driving position I could not see all of the speedo or some of the lights. I have settled on a more 'laid back' seating position, and as a consequence of this, it would appear I have adopted a more laid back attitude to driving. Will miss the oomph when putting your foot down in the Scout, but all things considered, I'm glad I made the change.

The only blot on the landscape is within 5 days of ownership the car got covered in paint spatter at the local retail park whilst they were painting the 'Welcome to...' sign.

I previously owned a 2002 Gen (Mk?) VII Honda Civic 1.6 SE Executive which I owned for 7 years and about 80k miles, of which 30k was spent travelling around Spain and France. Still miss that car.

cb550

Re: Hello from Hadleys Taxi!

Post by cb550 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi, yes our auto I think I can say is more at home making 'comfortable' progress rather than 'spirited' driving. More than happy with the car!

Also previously have owned a 7gen civic. Mine was the pre-facelift type S 2 litre. A good car but did'nt really ever 'gel' with it as a performance car. Its replacement, an Alfa 147 mjet I certainly did!

CornishDave44

Post by CornishDave44 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:56 pm

My previous car was a Sportage 1,7 diesel, and I am coming to terms with the different driving style required for a 1.5 ltr petrol car!

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:06 pm

cb550 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:30 pm
Hi, yes our auto I think I can say is more at home making 'comfortable' progress rather than 'spirited' driving.
A good description. And you should find that this also gives fairly economical driving (once the engine has warmed up). However, if more power is needed it's there when you up the revs - that's the way of life with the i-VTEC engine: Economical at lower revs and decent power at higher revs with the switchover at around 3,000 rpm.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

cb550

Post by cb550 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:30 am

Fair to say to the car, never actually 'opened it up' yet. Not sure if it's partly because I meet feel a little disappointed which is not in any way having a dig at the car, more so, it is after all a fairly substantial piece of kit wedded to a 1.5 motor plus of course the cvt, although don't know if this transmission actually robs the car a little of the motor's output in a similar way to a torque convertor style conventional auto. Perhaps those 'in the know' could say.

Our previous 8 gen civic auto did go pretty well all things considered. A quick dab on the throttle pedal would see the 'box drop down maybe 2 ratios whereby the rev counter would happily fly round to 6 1/2 k revs accompanied by a soundtrack that would cause more than a little alarm for those not expecting the same!

Must add, yes, very pleased with the car's fuel economy, especially compared to the above Civic. Should improve a little even more so as the weather warms up!

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Two ways to access some extra power with the CVT are (i) A tug or two on the left paddle as well as a firm push with the right foot and/or (ii) put the gear shift into S. The former is better for economy as the powertrain will revert to what it thinks is the most efficient setting once pressure on the accelerator is reduced. S mode, however, effectively keeps the engine running faster all the time (equivalent to driving one gear lower than optimum) which means more power is instantly available but hits the fuel economy (as I discovered one day when I accidently did a regular journey in S and the car was showing low 40s mpg instead of the usual 50).

The CVT does have slightly lower transmission efficiency than a conventional gearbox. However, this inefficiency is largely offset by the drivetrain running at the optimum settings for the conditions. Overall, Honda's focus was on economy rather than performance (get the HR-V sport if you want more oomph).

I'll also add that I understand the Eco button doesn't do anything to the way the engine and gearbox behave. Eco mode means that the autostop system will tolerate a wider difference between target and actual cabin temperatures before autostop doesn't work (with the A/C warning displayed).
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

cb550

Post by cb550 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm

John Ratsey wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:45 pm
Two ways to access some extra power with the CVT are (i) A tug or two on the left paddle as well as a firm push with the right foot and/or (ii) put the gear shift into S. The former is better for economy as the powertrain will revert to what it thinks is the most efficient setting once pressure on the accelerator is reduced. S mode, however, effectively keeps the engine running faster all the time (equivalent to driving one gear lower than optimum) which means more power is instantly available but hits the fuel economy (as I discovered one day when I accidently did a regular journey in S and the car was showing low 40s mpg instead of the usual 50).

The CVT does have slightly lower transmission efficiency than a conventional gearbox. However, this inefficiency is largely offset by the drivetrain running at the optimum settings for the conditions. Overall, Honda's focus was on economy rather than performance (get the HR-V sport if you want more oomph).

I'll also add that I understand the Eco button doesn't do anything to the way the engine and gearbox behave. Eco mode means that the autostop system will tolerate a wider difference between target and actual cabin temperatures before autostop doesn't work (with the A/C warning displayed).
Good info' thanks!

When I next get to take the car out on the open road I'll have to have a play with the S mode and the gearbox selection paddles. Could be a little surprised yet, if those 130 bhp's are allowed out!