Sat Nav inaccurate

All Honda HR-V related discussions
PJM1959

Sat Nav inaccurate

Post by PJM1959 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Has anyone else found their sat nav to be inaccurate? Driving today the car icon was in the sea when I was actually near home which is about 1/2 mile away. It's not the first time this has happened.

Model Garmin Navigator
Unit id 1017177712
Software version 3.30
Honda 2.00

MartinLB

Re: Sat Nav inaccurate

Post by MartinLB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 pm

I've had that happen once or twice I think it's down to accessing the satellites, like mobile phone towers they have a refresh rate
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:15 pm

It’s a common problem also on 10 gen civics. There was supposed to be a software update, but not sure if it made any difference

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm

I'm impressed by how quickly modern phones can get an accurate position but I think they do an initial fix using the phone masts and also download the latest satellite data so they know which satellites to look for given the approximate location.

A simple sat-nav system doesn't have this help. It's got the satellite almanac from when it was last used. It might also assume it's at the most recently visited location (I don't know if it tracks the vehicle when not navigating) plus, when turned on, the view of the sky may be sub-optimal. Three satellites are needed to give a position but if they are all in the same part of the sky then the calculated postition may be significantly out. Finding a 4th satellite provides some redundancy in the calculation and the more satellites found then the better the fix.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Turnipmadras

Post by Turnipmadras » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:04 pm

I find the factory fitted Sat Nav to be pretty basic compared to my standalone Garman Nuvi. Having a Garman Sat Nav was one of the things that attracted me to the HR-V as I have had standalone Garman units for quite a while and found them accurate with very good traffic status warnings.
Setting routes is very similar but graphics, voice and traffic warnings are a lot more basic than the standalone unit. I find the traffic warning next to useless in fact. Only updating once a year is also poor. Roads and speed limits change more often than that and often find the unit driving across fields because new roads and roundabouts have been added since the update.