Whining noise 65+ mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Dunkmann

Whining noise 65+ mph

Post by Dunkmann » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi there

I drive a UK 2016 Honda HR-V 1.6 SE Nav Diesel in manual. When accelerating from around 65 mph, I can hear a whining sound. It is a bit like the sound of a turbo on a much older car I had. I have a family member with the same car. Although there car does make a noise, it is not as loud or as intrusive.

It has been in to Honda. They fixed a 'known issue' with alignment of one of the turbo pipes and it is quiter but still much louder than the comparison car.

Has anyone had something similar fixed or resolved before? If so, what was it?

Many thanks

Geoffers

Re: Whining noise 65+ mph

Post by Geoffers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 pm

Welcome aboard Dunkmann!

Can't help you with your problem but, I'm sure someone will be along who can!
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

Shellyfoley

Post by Shellyfoley » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Got my HRV back after 3 weeks in garage. They told me they were going to replace the cam shaft and when I collected it today they told me they replaced the head and cam shaft. Noise seems to be gone hopefully.2017 - 1.6 diesel se navi 30,000 kilometres. The car had a whining noise I think this could be the same problem that you have. The also told me there was wear in the cam shaft. Car is running much better now and no noise. Initially the garage told me there was no noise but I insisted and they eventually gave in to say yes there is something wrong.

Dunkmann

Post by Dunkmann » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:27 am

Thank you for the welcome :-) and for the help. I will head off to my friendly local Honda dealer to see if I can convince them to take a look.

cb550

Post by cb550 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:40 am

Hi, not sure if this is helpful or not, but over on the civic forum more than one owner has reported having to take their civic 9 gen idtec 1.6's to the dealer due to premature wear of the camshaft/head bearings and subsequent replacement. The issue then is known to Honda

Return to “Faults & Technical”