Why are HR-V's so rare ?

All Honda HR-V related discussions
dipstick

Why are HR-V's so rare ?

Post by dipstick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 pm

I bought my HR-V second hand last September 2019 and have covered a few thousand miles in it since. I'm delighted with it, think it's a great car all round, but, what amazes me is how few of them there are around. I have only seen 2 others on the road and one parked since last September.

I just can't understand why there are so few ! Any ideas or is it a secret.

SevenoaksHRV

Re: Why are HR-V's so rare ?

Post by SevenoaksHRV » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:56 pm

I think Honda have done a pretty poor marketing job in the UK. There are far more on the road in countries like Japan (no shock) and Thailand.

They clearly prioritise the Civic and CR-V so the HR-V just gets lost..

I also think that when you compare the vehicle with similar cars from other brands it can fall short. For example, the Toyota CH-R is a hybrid. The Nissan Qashqai has a better tech pack.

The HR-V has a good set of safety features but the lack of other kit and possibly the price doesn't help it.

It's a real shame as I really like my HR-V too (apart from the awful infotainment system and lack of LED headlights on my mid-range one). I wish they'd just do a full electric one as I'd upgrade to it right now.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm

The HR-V was much-awaited when it first arrived but Honda set the initial pricing on the high side, possibly because supply was constrained. Then there were a significant number of greater and lesser problems, probably due to the factory in Mexico (and likely the component suppliers) struggling to attain the expected standards which tarnished the reputation after which many potential customers lost interest.

Nonetheless, the HR-V sets the standard for usable space within the size of vehicle and I find the performance adequate with good fuel economy. I've not been in the CH-R but get the impression that it's somewhat behind the HR-V in both rear seat room and boot space.

BTW, if you want some LED headlights then look at these https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615#shopify-product-reviews . I've been using a pair for a couple of years and they have an excellent beam pattern.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Thank you for those interesting comments and information. I'm not aware of the range of types in detail, so have just looked in the V5 and it says...... HR-V EXI-VTEC CVT it's a 1.5 litre petrol with auto transmission. I feel it has more than everything I could wish for and my first autobox after 55 years of motoring, my knees made this specified this requirement !

I've driven an Audi A4 Estate for the last 20 years and was coq-a-hoop with them until I bought the latest model 3 years ago and soon got to dislike it intensely. The load space was not level with the back seats down and the parlarva to get the tonneau and another chunk of metal out to use the load space, was a nightmare. It made all sorts of noises warning of so many things my wife said it had to go, so off it went and we both just liked the HR-V we spotted at a garage in Exeter and who offered a good price to P-EX the Audi.

The load space in the HR-V is excellent and the back seats folding up are really good. The only thing I miss from the Audi is the powered tailgate which is quite high to reach up to.

I find the infotainment system very difficult to operate and the heating controls not very easy to use safely, but guess I'll eventually get the hang of the infotainment and my wife will operate the heating. She's generally sitting supervising !

All round, however I think it's a great car and the CVT excellent, I'm still surprised there are so few of them around. Incidentally I did try a Qashqai but found it a bit oversize for our narrow Devon lanes which was another reason the Audi had to go, the latest model, although called A4, was substantially larger than the earlier model which I'd loved for many years.

This Honda has done 23,000 now and I'm feeling I may get another when it has done some more miles, I wonder if they will change the heating controls and make the infotainment system easier to use. Does anybody know what a reasonable mileage is to change one of these vehicles with CVT, to avoid possible expensive repairs ? or is it anybodies guess. I think this one I have was made in Mexico but it seems perfect so far.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:21 pm

If the VIN starts with 3HG then it comes from Mexico. The change to Japan sourcing was, IIRC, in 2018.

The CVT box is pretty reliable provided the fluid is changed every 2 years / 25k miles. This one in a Jazz lasted 1/4 million miles in a driving instructor's vehicle https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10058.0 .

I've not had problems with pulling down the tailgate (I'm a shortish 5'7"). Note that there's a hand hold in the bottom edge of the tailgate which is easier to reach (and cleaner) than pulling on the outside of the tailgate.

I agree about the infotainment system and the heating controls. We should learn by the end of next year what Honda is planning to offer as a replacement for the HR-V as they claim that by 2022 everything will be electric https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/world-of-honda/future/electric-vision.html . However, I'm a little worried that since the European HR-V sales weren't impressive then Honda won't bother with providing something better. A foretaste of what it might be like is provided by the Mk. 4 Jazz which is due to reach the dealers within a few months https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming-soon/jazz-hybrid/overview.html . It's got knobs to control the heating and an updated infotainment system as well as an innovative hybrid system which effectively leaves out the gearbox.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:03 pm

Thank you, I had better think about changing the CVT fluid soon.

Return to “Main Honda HR-V chat”