Damp Seats + Low MPG

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Theninjagecko

Damp Seats + Low MPG

Post by Theninjagecko » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Hello,

First timer here, grateful for any suggestions.

I have a 2016 HRV I-Dtech 1.6. Had it for 2 months now.

I have a couple of issues I've noticed. Firstly the seats seem damp, not noticeable when you sit in but when you get out your clothes feel damp, I've put tissue paper in see if any water or damp collects but it doesn't. Very strange. Almost feels oily.

Also I'm driving in eco mode, I drive careful and keep to the green as much as I can. I'm only getting 32 MPG. I've done 130 miles and half a tank is almost gone.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks guys.

John Ratsey

Re: Damp Seats + Low MPG

Post by John Ratsey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:32 am

Welcome. :)

Regarding the seats, perhaps they were cleaned before you bought the vehicle and have never had a chance to dry out.

What is your typical journey length? At this time of year it can take at least 5 miles for the engine to get warmed up and running efficiently. Have you been on any long trips which get the engine, exhaust and emissions control system properly hot? Such a trip would also help the cabin to get properly warmed up and help the seats to dry (if they are slightly damp).

On my petrol HR-V the only effect of the Eco mode is to increase the allowable temperature difference between target and actual cabin temperature before the auto-stop doesn't activate and shows the A/C symbol. I don't know if the diesel engine behaves similarly.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Theninjagecko

Post by Theninjagecko » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm driving it same as my other cars I've had, couple long trips and small trips to moms couple miles away.

Good pointy about the seats being cleaned, could be possible!

I wonder if Honda filled it up with rubbish fuel and that's why its doing so poorly? I'm still on their tank of fuel.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 am

A shot or two of redex (often on offer in Wilco) should help clean the fuel system. However, I would recommend that you find a reason to do a 100 mile trip which really gets the engine and exhaust system properly hot so that any accumulated crud can be burned off (and the cabin nicely warmed up and dried out). The trip mpg for such a journey should be better than 60 mpg.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Needle

Post by Needle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi to you as a new member, I’ve a 1.6dtec se navi had her from new 2015, You haven’t stated trim model so it’s awkward about the seats Ex trim leather seats which could feel cold / damp if not heated or as Alan states not really dried out after a valet or are they material as all other trims?.
As regards fuel efficiency I drive in eco mode all the time and use the accelerator with ease & over the good selection of roads my average mpg has been 60+, I think if your only getting 30 or so to the gallon a trip back to Honda should be on your list.
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Hello fellow newbie!

Not sure of your location, but at this time of year fuel stations normally have winter diesel in their tanks. This has additives to stop the diesel from waxing due to the cold temperatures, the downside is this 'winter' diesel can affect fuel economy.

As you are still on the original fuel that came with the vehicle, are you using the vehicles readout to obtain the 32mpg figure? If you are, these can be terribly misleading, mine can be out by nearly 10mpg You need to take a brim to brim reading to obtain a more accurate reading. There are various apps to make it easier to record them.

As for the situation with your seats, it is possible the seats have been soaked in the past and the damp is actually in the foam. This does not show up when you run a tissue over it, but will seep back up when you sit on the seat. Place tissue paper on the seats and then plasce something reasonably heavy in a bag and lay it on top of the tissue paper and leave it for an hour or two, or even over night and see if the tissue paper is damp.

I would also ensure all the windows, rear hatch, and sunroof (if fitted) are closed properly, to ensure no outside moisture is getting in. I have to leave a dehumidifier bag on my dash as the Germans don't make vehicles as efficiently as their propaganda would lead you to believe!

HTH