Dampness in Boot

All Honda HR-V related discussions
EricD

Dampness in Boot

Post by EricD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I have a 65 Reg HRV and was wondering if anyone else has or has had this problem. I just checked my boot where the spare wheel would go if I had one and it is damp, especially in the back left hand corner as you look into the boot from the hatch. The side of the nearside wheel arch is also a bit damp as well. I had a similar problem just after I got the car in July this year, took it into the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong. Since then I haven't noticed any dampness until today. The interesting thing is that the whole area of the boot above that sub-boot is dry.

stuartie

Re: Dampness in Boot

Post by stuartie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi, I have the exact same problem in my 65 diesel HRV in the exact same place. I’ve had the car since new and only noticed the dampness 3 weeks ago. The dampness dries up but where does the damp come from? My local dealer was trying to fix an air intake problem and only said that they couldn’t find where the dampness came from and that they would need the car in for 3 days or so to investigate further. They suggested that just possibly the dampness might be caused by the tow bar somehow. I have had the tow bar for over 30 months without issue. I took my car back to my tow bar man who spent nearly 3 hours investigating without finding any fault. He would not take any payment for his time. With my limited knowledge ( ie none) I didn’t think that the tow bar had any part in this recent dampness problem.
So, I will monitor the boot and get back to my local Honda garage.

EricD

Post by EricD » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi, My car is booked into the garage next Monday (2nd Dec) so will report back on here afterwards. I don't have a tow bar fitted to my car so it seems unlikely that that would be the cause of dampness in your car.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:01 am

The first place I would look is under the plastic strips on the roof. The sealant sometimes cracks and then rain works it way down to the spare wheel well (as the lowest point in the boot). It's a well-known problem in older Jazzes but here's a report of it happening with a relatively new one: https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=245.msg77461#msg77461 . Search the Club Jazz forum for more details of how to fix the leaks - there's a technique for removing the plastic strips.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

EricD

Post by EricD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply and link John. It will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say tomorrow. As the car is under a used warranty until July next year I don't really want to start messing about with it myself at the moment. I have had a look at it this afternoon and neither seal looks as though it is fitting correctly, with the nearside one being the worst (Photos attached).

IMGP5380.JPG

IMGP5382.JPG

Return to “Main Honda HR-V chat”