Software update

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
MartinLB

Software update

Post by MartinLB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Hope this isn't just me being stupid!
Just had the 2nd year service, and they did the software update (with my approval) but now I'm unable to get my phonebook details to connect, I keep getting the message " unable to connect try again later" although it's connected.

Been thorough the manual (several times) but still no luck

Any suggestions? (other than "should have left it alone :-) )

cheers.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

beardyrich

Re: Software update

Post by beardyrich » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi Martin, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.
I Googled the problem and found a remedy which is basically removing the Hands Free system from all mobiles associated with the system. After doing this, re-pair the mobiles using the Hands Free system in the car. No problems since thank goodness.
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 pm

beardyrich wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 pm
Hi Martin, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.
I Googled the problem and found a remedy which is basically removing the Hands Free system from all mobiles associated with the system. After doing this, re-pair the mobiles using the Hands Free system in the car. No problems since thank goodness.
Thanks for that but could you expand on the procedure, there is / was only my phone, tried turning all options off then back on (phone & car) but still no luck

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi Martin,
This is what I found online.
“ We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your Honda Handsfree system. In order to solve the problem, please follow these steps: Erase every mobile phone from the Handsfree system and the Handsfree system from the phone. Then proceed with a soft-reset of your mobile phone. In order to do so, please switch off the phone, remove the battery, wait 10 seconds, put the battery back in and switch your phone on. Now re-pair your phone and make sure that you initiate the pairing from your Handsfree system. Then activate the search-mode of your mobile phones. If you are experiencing problems during the pairing, please check the following: - Have a look at the settings of your mobile phone. In case you have updated your phone, these settings might have changed. - Ensure that the bluetooth connection is set to " always visible" without any time out function. - Verify that the connection is set to "always connect automatically". - In case you have activated the Wifi connection, please deactivate it. The Handsfree system should be listed under "bluetooth devices". Make sure that it is on top of the list. In addition, please have a look at the device manager of your mobile phone. Some phones offer a setting that allows to tag an external device as a "trusted device". If this feature is available, please tag your Handsfree system as a "trusted device". If the pairing still fails, please let us know at which point of the pairing process you are experiencing the problems. Furthermore, it is of interest if you are getting any error messages on the mobile phone, on the MID of your car or directly from the Handsfree system. Please keep us updated. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Please do not hesitate.”

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow, it always work fine until today's update if not I'll give the service dept a ring :-)

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am

:( Hi Beardyrich,
I tried that this morning, to no avail, tried resetting everything, still no luck, called Honda and they basically said all the same things. I added the "important" numbers in manually with a voice link, all OK but if I attempt to then call one I get "Smartphone not activated" which is confusing as the other screens say it is.
Honda said to go back and they would look at it, but that will have to wait as I'm a little busy right now.
Oh and as they suggested the phone firmware is up to date too.

(note to self next time if it ain't broke don't fix it!! ) :lol:

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Just a thought. Would it be worth trying to pair another phone? Have you also tried rebooting the infotainment system?

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 pm

MartinLB wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am
(note to self next time if it ain't broke don't fix it!! ) :lol:
Your experience helps to explain why the dealers normally only do the software updates if the customer reports a problem which an update is expected to fix. These bugs and glitches can be awkward to troubleshoot if they only happen occasionally. The infotainment system software on my HR-V was updated at the last service (because the system had been slow to boot up - a known problem addressed by the update) without any adverse side-effects. That said, I've never tried to use the phone book facility so, for all I know, it might be broken!
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Bloody technology !! I called the service department they offered all the normal responses,to which I answered done that to them all. They then offered bring it in and we'll take a look. Being rather busy I said I'd try next week. Anyway having googled the problem and finding more answers than you'd guess I decided to try some.
Eventually found one that worked!!
Change screen back to standard, then change the screen colour (I went red, then amber) delete phone from car and then reboot. select phone and pair it. Hey presto I had a phone book!! Then returned the unit to my choice set up and after it re-booted I was back to normal.

Why changing the screen colour fixes the problem is beyond me, I'm used to fixing problems with hammer of screwdriver (sometimes a boot) still I'm happy now.

Return to “Faults & Technical”