Dash Cam wiring

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
beardyrich

Dash Cam wiring

Post by beardyrich » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Guys,

Ive just bought a Nextbase dash cam and I am wondering the best place to get my 12v supply from.
A quick look through the owners manual shows 3 possible options.
Fusebox A. Fuse 36 for the front accessory socket.
Fusebox B. Fuses 7 or 10 for the rear and centre console accessory sockets.

Would any of these be suitable? Has anyone else hard wired a dash cam?

Thanks.
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.

Geoffers

Re: Dash Cam wiring

Post by Geoffers » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:12 pm

I have two dashcams - front and rear. Front one is powered from the front ciggie lighter socket and the rear one from the boot ciggie lighter socket!

Nextbase do do a kit to hard wire the front one, but as the wiring comes from the fuse board in the drivers foot well I thought it easier to use the ciggie socket. It also made it very easy to move them when I changed cars.
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks for your reply Geoffers,
I thought about connecting to the cigarette lighter socket but would rather hide the wires completely and take a live off the fuse box.

mvitor

Post by mvitor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:34 pm

I used the nextbase hard wire kit with the piggyback fuse and plugged it in the drivers side footwell fusebox in the rear wiper fuse position number 40. I had to buy a mini type fuse (10A for the rear wiper) for the piggyback as the micro fuse from the fusebox would not fit. Hope this helps

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi mvitor,

Is there any particular reason for using the rear wiper fuse?

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am

I've just found time to look into hard wiring my dash cam and found that using fuse box A, I can use fuse 37. This is a switched live for accessories and saves having to tap into a different circuit. My car has keyless entry but 'keyed' cars should use fuse 38 instead. Fairly easy to get to.
All I need to do now is find a good earth!

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 am

Hi Guys. I need to find a good vehicle earth point close to fuse box ‘A’ under the dash. Is there one behind the panel where the bonnet release lever and fuel filler flap lever are and how easy is this panel to remove?

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm hard wiring my dashcam (my car is keyless) to the interior fusebox under the dashboard drivers side.

Position 38 is vacant but has fuse contacts so I'm fitting a piggback fuseholder there (supply ignition live is the contact nearest the centre of the fuses) and connecting the Nextbase cable there.

The adjacent bolt (8mm I think) is a good earth point and has no resistance to the battery negative post. It's easy to remove if/when I change the vehicle. I don't have a clue where the fuse downline wire from position 38 goes to, does anybody know ?

I'm guessing new cars will iclude a factory fitted dashcam soon though anyway.

Return to “Faults & Technical”