18/68 plate made in Japan?

All Honda HR-V related discussions
StupidFace

18/68 plate made in Japan?

Post by StupidFace » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Thinking of purchasing an EX in white however the facelifted wheels are really ugly. I'm only going to buy one if it's been made in Japan not Mexico (no disrespect intended but if I'm buying a Japanese car, I want it built in Japan!)

Has anyone got an 18 reg that's been made in Japan? I know that on the VIN it will start with 3 if it's made in Mexico and J for Japan? They said they'd be moving them over to Japan with the facelift model but the wheels, IMO, are hideous!

Secondly, I only average 10000 miles a year and not a lot of motorway driving, am I correct in thinking that the petrol would be best for me even if the Diesel is highly rated?

Hope someone can help and thank you in advance!

Steve_m

Re: 18/68 plate made in Japan?

Post by Steve_m » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:57 pm

It will have to be a facelift model (2019YM) to be built in Japan. All pre-facelift are Mexico built.

StupidFace

Post by StupidFace » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 am

That's a shame, I was hoping maybe a few had slipped through the net so to speak!

What are your thoughts regarding the petrol engine with a manual gearbox? I know the diesel is highly regarded however it wouldn't suit my mileage etc.

Thanks!

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:20 pm

I have the Ex petrol, manual, on a 67 plate and totally love it, as has been said its very frugal (regularly see 50+mpg on trips and 40+ when towing the caravan)) if you get about under 3k revs, and "lively" if you tempt the rev counter up a tad :o !!
Drives smoothly, we find it quiet, (17" wheels rather than the skinny ones) and extremely comfortable. Huge cargo space available in its various guises makes carrying things so easy :D .
I've not had any problems with mine that crop up on the forum (stop/start, rattles, etc.) and despite having a very critical (ex aircraft inspector) look over it I've not found any build issues either. I have also adapted well to the "info" setup, but again my aircraft background may have a lot to do with tha :lol: t.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Geoffers

Post by Geoffers » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm

I suppose the main consideration is the difference in purchase price (Diesel v Petrol) compared to the decrease in fuel costs over a period of time.

We bought our second HR-V as a diesel again because we expect it to be the last car we buy (we're both in our seventies). Our annual mileage is about 10,000 p.a. now and we expect to be driving for about another 10 years so having cheaper fuel cost per mile means something to us.

Having said all that, the performance of the diesel is very good. We get 60+ on a run and c.50 town driving. We don't drive for speed any anymore, only economy! If you need the speed/acceleration on occassion the diesel still has it.
We usually have a couple of trips into France every year and they will add up to 4 to 5,000 miles. With the range of the car being >500 miles fill ups are not frequent!

Oh! Nearly forgot - we drive it in economy mode all the time!
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Geoffers wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm
Having said all that, the performance of the diesel is very good. We get 60+ on a run and c.50 town driving. We don't drive for speed any anymore, only economy! If you need the speed/acceleration on occassion the diesel still has it.

Oh! Nearly forgot - we drive it in economy mode all the time!
My petrol HR-V is permanently in Eco mode. I don't think it makes any difference to the performance. I recall reading in the handbook that Eco mode widens the difference allowed by the Auto stop-start between target and actual cabin temperature.

Overall, my petrol HR-V gives fuel consumption 20% lower than those diesel numbers and I also drive with economy in mind. Life time average to date is just over 50mpg based on 5-6k miles/years mainly on medium-longer trips. I recommend the CV-T for a hassle-free drive.

I also prefer smaller wheels with more rubber. if 16" wheels had been an option I would have gone there. That said, the ride with the 17" wheels has improved since I decided that the Primacy tyres had worn enough that they could be replaced by Michelin Cross Climates.

As for choosing between petrol and diesel, I had no choice as I wanted the automatic. I suspect that the purchase cost difference between petrol and diesel may be shrinking due to reduced demand for the latter. However, if this trend continues then the future resale value of diesels will be lower.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

StupidFace

Post by StupidFace » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info people, I'll have to see what deal I can get from the dealers but we will probably be buying a manual.

Regarding the wheels there may be a silver lining, I've noticed that some of the brand new EX have a sports kit added to the exterior and the wheels are different as well (better looking IMHO however they are 18")

Does anyone know about the "Exterior Sports Garnish" kit as now I've seen a few with it, I can't imagine buying one without it now!

Thanks in advance!

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:57 am

With reference to the wheels have a look at the thread about tyres as there seems to be some issues with the sizes.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Needle

Post by Needle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi face just read your article 18/68 plate I have one of the first Hrvs September 2015 diesel SE Navi apart from the water leak in the roof ( see post on this site) I've had no trouble car passing MOT each time I only do 7000 miles each year mainly A roads & some motorway my mileage return has been 60-65 from new I was looking to change for a newer model NOW that they are made in Japan but better the devil etc etc. I do agree about the wheels though terrible ! I was thinking of asking of putting my order in but if I put my car in p/ex change the wheels over but don't know if they would wear that?.
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

StupidFace

Post by StupidFace » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies!

@Needle If you can switch them over then go for it! They look miles better IMO however there are some one (EX I believe) which have different wheels and a "sports garnish kit" - they're not in the Honda website but there are some on the Autotrader and whilst the wheels are not as nice as yours, the side skirts and wheel arch trims make it look awesome!

We don't do many motorway miles therefore we'll prioritise a petrol however if a great deal with a diesel comes along then I'll have to adapt my driving style I guess!

Return to “Main Honda HR-V chat”