Any replacement tyre recommendations?

All Honda HR-V related discussions
honda15hrv

Any replacement tyre recommendations?

Post by honda15hrv » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:49 am

HRV 1.5 has covered 17,000 miles, front tyres are on 2mm and need replacing, back tyres on 4mm. All Michelin Supremacy.

Could replace just fronts or go for the best and replace all four with Michelin Crossclimates.

Any thoughts on this matter most welcome.

Thank you and a very Happy New Year

John Ratsey

Re: Any replacement tyre recommendations?

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm planning to put the Michelin CrossClimates on my HR-V when the opportunity arises. They aren't cheap but seem to be the best of the all-season tyres. They were first drawn to my attention by Honest John https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/h ... 000-miles/ and are among the best of the all-season tyres with good winter performance at minimal cost to summer performance (there are plenty of reviews demonstrating this). I wasn't impressed by the Primacy tyres when I had to venture out into the snow a few weeks ago. The CrossClimate side walls are slightly more flexible than the Primacy which will also improve the ride.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 pm

I can also recommend the Michelin Cross Climate tyres as I have previously had some fitted to another car.
Don't forget that the tyres are the only contact the vehicle has with the road. Anything that compromises that (including poor quality tyres) seriously affects handling and safety. At the moment these tyres will be my choice when I need to replace them.
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 am

Having ridden / driven for fifty + years the thought of having tyres designed for snow when we generally get less than a week of it (here in the south anyway) seems counter productive, especially as you'll be sacrificing fuel efficiency and wear. They maybe a good choice in northern counties where bad weather starts earlier and lasts longer. Besides snow socks (or chains) will fill any short term needs
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Slowdriver51

Post by Slowdriver51 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 am

I had the front tyres replaced at around 18,000 miles and went for Bridgestone Turanza T001 which were suggested by an independent tyre co. that I've used for the past 25 years. I didn't want the Michelins again as I though the wear wasn't that good but reading the forum the fronts seem to need replacing around 17-18000 miles. The tyre co. said the Bridgestones were made from a harder rubber and would give a higher mileage. The car has now done 29,000 miles and the tyres have been fine with plenty of grip both in the wet and dry and no more road noise that the Michelins. Living in East Anglia we don't get bad weather conditions and if we do get snow its usually gone in a couple of days. There's no noticeable change in the fuel consumption (diesel) which is still amazing. When the rears need changing I would probably stick with the Bridgestones.

Geoffers

Post by Geoffers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:19 am

@MartinLB,
I live in York Martin, and we usually see snow no more than once or twice. It rarely lasts more than 48 hours.
As we don't go far in winter anyhow I've never seen the need for winter tyres!
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

shipsinker

Post by shipsinker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 pm

honda15hrv
15000 on the front tyres if you look at my post below on a similar topic you'll see my front's were toast at 10k and I was like driving miss daisy to try increase the fuel economy figure
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=469

I changed the front ones at that time to the crossclimates, seem to be lasting ok but I have been trly blessed in that every day we have had snow in the last two winters it was a Friday and I was off work! so I've still no idea what they are like in the snow.

my rears were down to 3mm at my service in September so waited it out till end of November and have changed them to some Kumho Ecsta that I got on Black Circles

tyres just don't seem to last like they did a few years ago
Owner since September 2015. SE Navi 1.6 in Morpho Blue Pearl

Needle

Post by Needle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Reading these posts I wonder if some of us are gullible to mass advertising , I agree with martinlb ive been driving for over 40 years never heard of summer tyres or winter tyres for cars in this country until a few years ago and perhaps living in the south I can say never needed them horses for courses I suppose .
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

Needle

Post by Needle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Sorry forgot to add, I had an 2006 c-rv a much heavier car and had Goodrich tyres from new as supplied by Honda they lasted 22000 miles on the front before needing change, I must confess though most of the mileage was done on a straight A road.
I think I will be looking at the possibility of having these fitted when needed.
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

honda15hrv wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:49 am
HRV 1.5 has covered 17,000 miles, front tyres are on 2mm and need replacing, back tyres on 4mm. All Michelin Supremacy.

Could replace just fronts or go for the best and replace all four with Michelin Crossclimates.

Any thoughts on this matter most welcome.

Thank you and a very Happy New Year
I've seen lots on here (in various threads) regarding wear and mileage and have over the many years on the road worn out many tyres. What I have found is a grippy tyre will wear out faster than a long lasting tyre, after all something has to give if you're hacking around corners with your right foot hard down :D and like many things how and where you drive makes a huge difference.
As a general rule (I've found) the best (all round) tyre for any vehicle is the one they are designed with, and sometimes choosing a different set of boots causes an unexpected change in handling, not always for the good.
Personally I have a preference for Continental, not the cheapest but certainly a high quality tyre manufacturer.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver