Regen paddle shifters

All Honda HR-V related discussions
Pdpc

Post by Pdpc » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 am

Hi, I have been trying to find info about how to use the regen paddle shifters properly prior to getting my new Hrv. Please can someone help me understand how to use them or point me to a good video or site.
Thank you Paul

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Hello Paul,
All I can suggest is how I use them. I may be right, I may be wrong! (But I have managed, once, to get 71.8 mpg on a 2 1/2 mile trip round Poole, so I can't be THAT wrong!)
So far I have driven everywhere in Eco mode with the shift in 'B'.
This will give you max regen, which will slow you down too much in normal driving (BUT will not bring you to a complete halt!)
Then pull the RIGHT hand paddle until you get ONE chevron showing on the dashboard and leave it there. This will give approximately similar retardation to an ICE car.
With the shift in 'D' whatever drive mode you are in, even if the ICE is running, the second you back off the throttle the ICE will stop, so you will get less than normal 'overrun' retardation that you would get on an ICE car.
Then as you drive around, especially round town when you have to slow down due to traffic or lights etc you pull the left hand paddle rapidly to apply max regen & therefore braking. Or any intermediate level t suit the circumstances. Once you pull away again in traffic I would leave it at one chevron, than when you get out of town you can pull the left lever to get back to max or leave it on one. The change in regen is instantaneous, so as long as your fingers are near the paddles, it really doesn't matter a you can change regen instantly. I rarely use the intermediate levels. I am either min or max.

(If you need a quick overtake, flick it into 'SPORT' and floor it, you will be surprised at it's ability to 'pick up its skirts' and GO! )
Hope this helps.
Colin Lambert.
Dip Automotive Engineering.
Moderator:- Also on Karoq Forum.
Honda HR-V e:HEV Delivered 15th January '22. :D

Pdpc

Post by Pdpc » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 pm

Colin that is great thank you so much. It’s a little daunting needing to learn so many new things. Brilliant all the Honda sensing and new options but daunting!

Paul

Steve_m

Post by Steve_m » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 pm

There are 2 states to remember:

1. When the gear position is in just "D" the operation of the regen paddles is temporary and will change back to the default OFF once the throttle is applied for a short period.

2. If the gear position is in either "B" or you are in Sport mode then the regen paddle effect will stay until changed with the paddles or "D" or Sport is exited, This will be indicated by the "M" near the regen level indicator.

I use my CRV eHEV paddles mostly in the situation that the Owners Manual describes, when following another vehicle down an incline, once off the throttle instead of actually braking, I use the regen to control my speed to match the vehicle in front

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:43 pm

Well Said Steve.
Your last para......exactly what I do!
Colin Lambert.

Bil65

Post by Bil65 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:59 pm

I think I’m going to have to go on a course to drive this car when it arrives. I’ve went from the test drive where you put the car in drive and everything seemed so simple. After reading this thread my mind is completely boggled 😂

Sharpmango

Post by Sharpmango » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 pm

Likewise Bil, no idea what's going on 😂. Will definitely revisit this thread once I have the car!

Pdpc

Post by Pdpc » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 am

I know what you guys mean. I was excited when we got our older Jazz because it had auto wipers! Really looking forward to getting new Hrv but a little daunting if I’m honest.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:05 am

If you need them, put your specs on before you touch anything. I am long sighted and find that the non illuminated buttons ar too small for me to see the logo on them without my specs. Especially below the heater control and at the right side low dashboard.
So far I have canceled the front and rear sensors and switched the safety features off together with demisting the front screen instead of the back.
It may take time, but fear not you will get used to it. There are some very knowledgable people here (more so than me! I am coming from 13 years or pretty low tech Skodas, so I am also on a big tech learning curve)
Colin Lambert.

Steve_m

Post by Steve_m » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:10 am

@ Pdpc: I presume you have had a looked at the Owner's Manual? Although it has many pages there is many items of useful information etc.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/man ... ressed.pdf