First week with the superb HR-V e:HEV

All Honda HR-V related discussions
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 pm

My first impressions of the superb Honda HR-V e:HEV
My overall rating. 9/10.*
Following an 80 mile round trip at the weekend.
One must bear in mind that I have owned it less than a week and am still coming to terms with a fairy steep learning curve with all the ‘gizmos’. I have not gone very far into all the ‘Honda Sensing’ kit yet.
Gizmology, (so far)
LKA is gentle and not intrusive. RDMS has lit up once or twice but hasn’t apparently done anything apart from a gentle tug on the steering wheel to guide the car away from the N/S verge?
As in Jazz & Crosstar, if you don’t want it you have to turn it off, as default is ON. Blind spot monitor works well. Used to beep, but doesn’t now, Have I turned something off by mistake?
ACC, Turned it on but traffic too light to see it operate as far as distance and stopping is concerned.
Economy,
Outbound. 52mpg including some 70mph A35 in eco mode. Inbound 63mpg on slower A roads. Using varying regen levels, depending on circumstances. In Eco all the time. 24th Jan 71.8mpg on 2 mile trip round Poole this morning. Very impressive!
Performance,
Excellent, Certainly as good as the Karoq, although i have yet to actually time speeds 0-62 and through the gears. overtake-abiity very good even in ECO if ‘kicked down’. I would say better than Karoq.
Ride,
Very comfortable, suspension set up/tyre size well sorted. No crashing on uneven surfaces, copes very well with the usual rubbish British roads.
Roadholding,
Excellent. Very ’surefooted’. Just as good as any other of the 7 SUVs I have owned.
Seating/seat heating.
Very comfortable. In spite of no lumbar support and my very bad back. All the Hondas I have owned have always had excellent seats. Honda very stingy in not having passenger seat height adjustable, although in our case is completely irrelevant. Seats heat up very quickly, which is just as well as the ICE takes longer to heat up than a pure petrol engined car. A good thing is that once turned on, they stay on the next time you start the car.
Boot and interior size,
Although listed as a rather stingy 315 litres (due to the battery being under the boot floor) it is exactly the same horizontal (WxL) dimensions as a Karoq Sportline. I can only assume that it is quoted at less due to the sloping roof line of the HR-V.
More importantly for me the boot floor is completely flat, including when the back seats are put down. Quite big enough for a 25Kg Lurcher girly.
‘Magic’ seats are a brilliant idea. Leg room for rear seat passengers is HUGE. I am 6’ and can ’sit behind myself’ with the driver’s seat adjusted for self. Front passenger leg room good, I can sit with straight legs with seat right back. Drivers leg room not so good (obviously!). Left foot MUST be kept on foot rest as brake pedal a bit too close if left foot extended on the floor. (size 10!)
Noise,
Around town brilliant! On some tarmac surfaces at high speed slightly intrusive, on others ok, Obviously depends on the actual surface. Car shod with 225/50R18 Michelin Primacy4.
HOWEVER! Wind noise is quite intrusive at speed. For some reason worse in the front passenger seat than the driver’s (Yes I did let SWMBO drive it this morning!)😱.
Nearly all the YTube reviewers have moaned about the CVT type (many even that it HAS a CVT, which it does NOT!) ‘mooing’
on hard acceleration. Take it from me, they are talking absolute rubbish. Unless the car is driven by an idiot (like many reviewers) The noise is no worse than an ICE powered car at full chat and in an overtake manoeuvre doesn’t last long enough to be of any annoyance.
Heating with heater off.
As above, slower than an ICE car, but even in the freezing weather we have had of late, is of little importance, since the seat heaters are excellent and speedy, coupled with the heated steering wheel. Once the ICE is hot you can get a quite useable amount of hot air without actually turning the heater on, over 40mph the airflow over the car is good enough to give a decent amount of heat. (outside temp 5c).
General jottings.
STEERING. Turns in well. nicely weighted with no signs of over or under steer. Gives one a very confident feeling.
E Driving. As long as the battery has 4 bars of charge, on a level road, the car will generally stay in E mode up to about 40mph. 5 bars will enable nearer 50mph. As soon as the battery drops to 3 bars the ICE will kick in, either to drive the car with E assistance, or pure petrol, again depending on speed and upward incline.

Some not so good points*. Starting with the most important/annoying and some suggestions for Honda.
1. Heavy condensation inside rear window. A real pain! I have had this before on a PHEV. Could the traction battery give off heat after a drive which then causes the back window to condense as the outside temperature drops? Bearing in mind the HRV battery is under the boot floor. Presumably will go away as the weather warms up.
2.The chime when your bum hits the driving seat. Thank you Honda, but I am aware I have just got into the car!
3.The warning screen which seems to be common on Japanese & Korean cars and has to be cancelled, or wait for it to cancel itself. WHY do the Asian manufacturers love their ‘bongs’ so much. Perhaps it connected to their love of revolting orange pseudo wood interior finishes.
Suggestions for Honda.
1. You fitted an excellent full width light bar at the rear, Why ON EARTH did you not instal sequential indicators to match the front, instead of the stupidly small indicators that the car has?
2. I haven’t had a car without a leather gear knob for at least 15 years.YEN pinching or WHAT? Rubber one fitted to the HR-V is not nice!!
3. More sound deadening required. For wind noise and engine. I have never heard a Honda engine running on any of those I have owned, but you can just hear this one although it is not intrusive.
Colin Lambert.
Dip Automotive Engineering.
Moderator:- Also on Karoq Forum.
Honda HR-V e:HEV Delivered 15th January '22. :D

Madasafish

Post by Madasafish » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am

Colin, nice update. Can I ask did you resolve the issue with the heated rear screen with the dealer? and secondly, how bad is this condensation on the rear windscreen? mine wont be garaged so will be outside all year round.
This might be an issue for me. i don't want to go back to scraping ice from the inside of glass windows in winter. This one issue could be cause for concern.
Mick

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am

Hello Mick,
Don't panic.
It only did it once. I think it must have been a fluke of the weather. The dog steamed it up when I was in Tesco this morning. heater cleared it in 2 minutes.
Colin Lambert.

ronsp

Post by ronsp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:59 am

Colin,
Did your dealer include DiamondBrite or similar paint protection package in the deal. I had DiamondBrite included FOC and when I went into the HRV the day after collecting it the front and rear screens were misted up due to the carpets etc drying out from the interior application of the fabric protection?

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 pm

No they didn't offer DiamondBrite. I certainly wouldn't pay for it. I paid for it on my Mercedes and it was a complete waste of money. That was a few years ago, they may have improved it by now,
I did get a £97 Honda jacket, £94 worth of bespoke rubber mats , a lovely bunch of flowers for SWMBO and for some reason a limited edition of very special olive oil?? I also think they undercharged me for the red paint. The price has increased since Jan 1 but I am sure it was £750. They charged me £650. I'm not going to mention it incase it was a mistake!! :lol:
Colin Lambert.

ronsp

Post by ronsp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:53 pm

Yes, they definitely made a mistake it should have been £750, as of 1st January it's now £825.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:38 pm

OH DEAR!! What a shame! :lol:
Colin Lambert.

threndydd

Post by threndydd » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 am

Hi Colin. Great review thanks. My delivery just put back from 25 Jan to 5 Feb, dealers explanation all conformed to what is on the Forum.
One interesting anecdote though, apparently the gates failed at Bristol and they diverted to Southampton! Then transported them to Bristol for pdi.
No doubt your car was one of those!
Just think you could have nipped over, done a pdi whilst having a Macdonald's in the cafe and taken it home.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 am

I have emailed Honda EU with the above review and highlighted my suggestions, re rear indictors, unnecessary beeps and bongs etc. My dealer agrees with me re the rubber gear knob. I know most of us will probably only touch it twice per journey, but it just smacks of unnecessary 'Yen pinching'! The rest of the car is very high quality. The fir and finish is superb. Why spoil it with a horrible rubber knob?
I am expecting a bland response to my suggestions, but perhaps if enough owners say similar they just may take some notice.
Thanks for the comments re Bristol and Southampton.
Colin Lambert.

TonyK

Post by TonyK » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:11 pm

I've had my Advance Style 5 days now and thought its about time it had a wash! :-) Its surprising how many crevices there are on the car when drying it. The front grill was a nightmare to get dry. I must have wiped it dry about 4 times, but water kept running from under the bonnet and leaving water all over it Will be interested if others experience this too.