2019 HR-V Sport Space Saver spare wheel

All Honda HR-V related discussions
Needle

Re: 2019 HR-V Sport Space Saver spare wheel

Post by Needle » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:23 am

Good morning Templar, I agree with you completely every one should have a jack supplied with a car & indeed my Hrv handbook pages(571_574 ) clearly shows where the jack is stored & where the jacking points are on the car .you are correct when saying Honda state to take the weight of a flat tyre ,also a jack would be needed for other situations to lift the car things jammed underneath etc. If this is a new situation it can only be down to cost cutting or to force owners to purchase roadside recovery.
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:38 am

Needle wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:23 am
If this is a new situation it can only be down to cost cutting or to force owners to purchase roadside recovery.
Cost cutting plus a fractional reduction in weight are likely reasons. You can get your roadside recovery for free through Honda Care which automatically comes free for the first three years and then, if you have your vehicle serviced by a Honda dealer, then the free breakdown recovery can be extended by the dealer if requested to do so.

I also noticed in my Crosstar handlbook that the method for using the TRK goo has changed. The bottle is now connected to the hose between the pump and the valve so the goo is added under pressure which eliminates the need to rotate the wheel to get the valve to the bottom in order to manually inject the goo. Which system is used in the newer HR-Vs supplied without a jack?
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:00 am

@Templar

What is stored in the OS cubby in the boot?

This is what is in that cubby in my 2016 vehicle which I purchased in March of this year;

jack,
compressor
tyre gunk
towing hook
a funnel/tube for filling your fuel tank from a fuel/Jerry can
4 spare wheel nuts in lieu of the ones replaced by the locking wheel nuts
and the locking wheel nut key.

The dealership I purchased my vehicle from supplied me with a replacement spare wheel nut as only three were in the cubby.

For clarification, my vehicle did not come with a spare wheel.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

Templar

Post by Templar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi Needle, it gets worser and worser. Pages 571-74 in my owner’s manual only deals with replacing the tyres and rotating them round the car. Pages 608-615 deal with changing a punctured tyre. It is quite difficult to follow because it covers different versions of HR-V but it would seem to say that petrol, turbocharged versions (HR-V Sport) have a spare wheel in the boot well with a tool tray on top containing a jack and wheel nut wrench. There is simply no room for these things! My car came with a black moulded polystyrene block filling the otherwise empty spare wheel well. This block had an indentation in the top to form a shallow tray, presumably for odds and sods. Page 615 deals with storing the flat tyre. It instructs the driver to put the tyre in the polythene storage bag supplied in the tool case(?), knot the top of the bag, make a hole through the bag and pass a strap through both the bag and the wheel. This strap should then be secured through a hold-down eye in the boot. It all sounds a bit like our local council’s rubbish bin instructions. In answer to Hadley’s Taxi, my OS cubby hole contains an electric tyre compressor, a tool roll containing a towing eye and screwdriver, a little bag containing four wheel nuts and the key for the locking nuts and a can of tyre sealant. It would appear that the sealant is ‘blown’ into the tyre using the compressor.
As to why car manufacturers do not now supply spare wheels, the Honda line would seem to be that they are saving the planet by reducing weight and therefore burning less fuel. This might be a valid argument since my wallet certainly weighs considerably less after purchasing an after-market spare.
My HR-V: 2019 Honda 5 Door 1.5I VTEC Turbo Sport (Manual). Colour: Platinum White.
Previous cars: 8th, 9th & 10th Generation Civics.

Needle

Post by Needle » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 pm

Evening Templar lm sorry to say it seems Honda has decided nobody needs a jack etc anymore another reason I shall be keeping my model, ive never Needed the spare wheel or jack but it’s like life/ buildings insurance You feel better it’s there just in case .
I’ve noticed on looking at other car makers a lot now go for the tyre repair rubbish however I also noticed that vw still supply a spare wheel jack etc On all the models I have looked at. I don’t drive in Europe but there are places in certain areas I certainly would be worried about breaking down without a spare tyre or jack. & by the way a friend of mine Kerbed his mini today blew a hole in the wall of the tyre (gunk no good for that!) & waited 3 hrs for a tow to the dealer for a new tyre & safety check.
HRV SE NAVI Modern Steei metalic

zephyr4

Post by zephyr4 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 am

I have the 2020 EX model not sure if I will have the same problem any chance you could upload the picture so I can see your mod.

Thanks z4.

Templar

Post by Templar » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Can anyone tell me how to upload .JPG picture files to this forum? Sorry if I'm being stupid but I can't work it out.
My HR-V: 2019 Honda 5 Door 1.5I VTEC Turbo Sport (Manual). Colour: Platinum White.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Templar wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 pm
Can anyone tell me how to upload .JPG picture files to this forum? Sorry if I'm being stupid but I can't work it out.
Click on the "Full Editor and Preview" button. You will then see "Attachments" below the text panel.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

Templar

Post by Templar » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Here, as requested, are a couple of pictures of my modification to fit an 18" spacesaver into the wheel well of a 2019 HR-V Sport.

Tyre 3.JPG

P7210022.JPG

P7210023.JPG

zephyr4

Post by zephyr4 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks for the pictures.

z4