2019 HR-V Sport Space Saver spare wheel

All Honda HR-V related discussions
Templar

2019 HR-V Sport Space Saver spare wheel

Post by Templar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a Space Saver (18") spare into the wheel well of a 2019 HR-V Sport? My own measurements suggest that a 135/80R18 tyre as fitted to the spare supplied by 'Tyremen' (https://www.tyremen.co.uk/) should fit although the width of the tread might be a problem rather than the diameter. However, several wheel suppliers and one Honda garage have told me it cannot be done. Like many drivers, I am not a fan of 'squirty can and no jack' technology and as I will soon be travelling to one of the more remote areas of Scotland I'd feel much happier with a jack, wheel wrench and a spare wheel, especially in this Corvid-19 time when an operating garage might be hard to find.
My HR-V: 2019 Honda 5 Door 1.5I VTEC Turbo Sport (Manual). Colour: Platinum White.
Previous cars: 8th, 9th & 10th Generation Civics.

Jazzandjag

Re: 2019 HR-V Sport Space Saver spare wheel

Post by Jazzandjag » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 am

Yes , it can be done! When I got my Sport in March the dealer said that the standard SS spare would not fit. I therefore decided to get one anyway and carry it as an item of luggage if need be. Within 2 hours of getting home I emailed the dealer with a couple of pictures of the installation with the caption “you know that spare which doesn’t fit”.

To get it in you need to remove the luggage tie-downs at the back of the boot to release the boot floor. Put the wheel in place and refit the tie down points. Longer screws would be a help here but I managed with the originals. Finally I added timber bearers to each side of the area the floor sits on at the front edge of the well to maintain stability. The floor now sits some 20mm higher than it originally did.

Hope this helps

Templar

Post by Templar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks Jazzandjag. I had my HR-V into my friendly Honda garage to-day for a service and asked for their thoughts. When I picked the car up I found that they'd tried every Space Saver rim/tyre combination they could find and the best they could come up with was 1" higher than the floor of the boot. I think I will be using your solution. Many thanks. By the way, how easy is it to remove the luggage hold-downs? I've not had a close look yet but I couldn't see any obvious screws to undo.
My HR-V: 2019 Honda 5 Door 1.5I VTEC Turbo Sport (Manual). Colour: Platinum White.

Jazzandjag

Post by Jazzandjag » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 am

The screws are covered by a plastic flap. Raise the tiedown loops and then use a fine blade to lever the flaps up and you will see the screw heads. I had to do an internet search to find this out! If you do this, could you please measure the diameter of the screws? Whilst I managed to reuse the existing screws it was a struggle and longer ones would make life easier.

Templar

Post by Templar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm now waiting for my new 18" Space Saver wheel kit arriving (135/80R18 tyre plus jack and wheel wrench). In the meantime I've installed a couple of 1" thick spacers, one on either side of the boot under the floor. The bolts holding down the tiedown loops are 15mm by Japanese M6 and I've replaced them with European 40mm by M6. I've often found when dealing with Japanese machinery that their metric threads are slightly different from the equivalent European thread. In the case of these M6 bolts, the difference was enough to make the European ones very tight to screw in. I did not attempt to screw them in very far but it is possible that, if I had, they would have 'modified' the tread and all would have been well. Instead, I ran a M6 tap through the threaded hole in the boot. It went through with almost no resistance and no sign of it removing metal so I have no worries about it weakening the thread. I suppose I could have nipped in to my Honda garage and asked if they had a couple of the required size of bolt but it is an 18 mile drive each way and didn't seem worth it. Also, at present, it is difficult to conduct a meaningful conversation across the garage with social distancing and face masks in the way. Once the wheel arrives, I'll report on my progress. I hope the 1" spacers are thick enough!

Jazzandjag

Post by Jazzandjag » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:37 am

Thank you for the info on the screw threads.

Templar

Post by Templar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:36 am

Sorted! It took me a little longer than Jazzandjag’s 2 hours but I had to wait for my wheel to arrive and, me being me, I decided to modify Jazzandjag’s design to include a cross-piece at the rear ends of the side bearers. It didn’t take long to install the woodwork and I used pieces of tube as spacers on the new, longer bolts so as not to stress the tie-down brackets when I tightened up the bolts. I made the mistake of using the quoted dimensions of a 135/80R18 tyre, as fitted to the SpaceSaver wheel I’d ordered, when designing the woodwork. When the wheel arrived from ‘Tyremen’ (https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/18-hon ... royal-tyre) I discovered the error of my ways. I found that the side-to-side width of the tyre tread was about 5mm more than I’d anticipated which meant that the floor rested on the tyre rather than the bearers. I got round this by gluing wooden blocks to the top of the bearers. I also found that the rear cross piece fouled on the tyre as I tried to slide it into place. I jig-sawed a curved piece out of the forward side of the cross-piece and glued it onto the back so that it now had a ‘kink’ in the middle which cleared the tyre nicely. The ‘Tyremen’ kit came with a nice strong jack and an extending wheel wrench but no hold-down bolt for the wheel. I fabricated this from a long M8 bolt and a piece of 1” x 0.25” steel bar. Many thanks, Jazzandjag, for the idea and should anyone else want to do the same modification, I’d suggest using bearers 40mm wide by at least 45mm high which should clear a 135/80R18 tyre nicely. I did take some photos but can't work out if I can attach them.