Upgrading Stock Head Unit to Navi

All Honda HR-V related discussions
Panther

Upgrading Stock Head Unit to Navi

Post by Panther » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi,
This my first post on this forum. I own a Honda HR-V 2016 LX Thai version. It came with a non android, non navigation head unit. last month I purchased a used audio navigation unit pulled from a 2017 HR-V from eBay UK. However the possible swap turned out to be problematic issue due to following :
1. Unlocking the Unit. The seller didn't had the code. When insisted I was told that it doesn't require the code and all I had to do was to hold the green power button for up to 10 seconds and the unit will skip the unlock screen. Later we checked with the local Honda dealer at UK and they said if the 10 second stuff doesn't work than we have to bring the vehicle at dealership and they will re code the unit using Honda diagnostics System ( HDS). Obviously we couldn't do that as unit was in UK and my HR-V in Asia. However, Back in my country I took my car to local Honda dealership , they plugged in the laptop with HDS but couldn't figure out how to do that. They said it was new for them and no such requirement had every come. Now I am stuck with a locked unit and need help unlocking it.

2. Connecting an External Microphone. I also realized that my stock head unit had built in microphones, one on each side of CD slot. However the UK variant has the HTS microphone built into the overhead map light. Now I need to figure out where I need to connect an external microphone and of what type. I also need to know the pin assignments for the relevant plug.

3. The Garmin Navigation system . The audio navigation system has UK Garmin Maps with 5 years free upgrade package. I have no idea if it can have maps for other regions. I need to know if it will work elsewhere.

Please help me with all above issues , unlocking being the top priority followed by rest two

Screenshot_20200105-151701_Gallery.jpg

InkedInkedconnector assignment_LI.jpg

20200104_192746.jpg

Steve_m

Re: Upgrading Stock Head Unit to Navi

Post by Steve_m » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Panther wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:18 pm

3. The Garmin Navigation system . The audio navigation system has UK Garmin Maps with 5 years free upgrade package. I have no idea if it can have maps for other regions. I need to know if it will work elsewhere.
No, it cant have other region maps, it can only have Western Europe.

Panther

Post by Panther » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info Steve.
It will be great if I could have some guidance on unlocking the head unit.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm

I believe that the unlock code is stored in the ECU. This was introduced with the Mk 3 Jazz (on which the HR-V is based). The Mk 2 Jazz used a separate code which was provided with the vehicle's handbook but vulnerable to being lost which caused a lot of anguish as disconnecting the battery would lock the radio (see https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9738.0 ). Storing the code in the ECU avoided this problem.

We don't know, however, if this arrangement is unique to the European vehicles or if the empty place is in the ECU of the Asian HR-Vs and waiting for someone with the right knowledge to program the appropriate code into the ECU. Or maybe the Asian ECU is different.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

John Ratsey wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm
I believe that the unlock code is stored in the ECU.
And that is why the Anti Theft System message is coming up. There is a chance that it was indeed stolen. Do you have proof that it is a genuine sale?
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

Steve_m

Post by Steve_m » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Panther wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:52 pm
You will need to give the serial number to a European dealer and they would have to request the audio code from Honda.

The unit will be VIN locked to the original vehicle and until it gets the audio code it will not allow the VIN to be re-registered in the unit.

Panther

Post by Panther » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:06 pm

ColinS wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm
John Ratsey wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm
I believe that the unlock code is stored in the ECU.
And that is why the Anti Theft System message is coming up. There is a chance that it was indeed stolen. Do you have proof that it is a genuine sale?
All I have is the eBay packing slip and the seller has some sort of 434 stars, perhaps a reliable seller.

Screenshot_20200109-210049_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191118-003436_Chrome.jpg

Panther

Post by Panther » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Steve_m wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:34 pm
Panther wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:52 pm
You will need to give the serial number to a European dealer and they would have to request the audio code from Honda.

The unit will be VIN locked to the original vehicle and until it gets the audio code it will not allow the VIN to be re-registered in the unit.
Now that is getting complicated. I wonder if Honda UK will do that with both vehicle and head unit elsewhere. Perhaps some one here could help me with the flow chart / menu and sub menus with in the Honda Diagnostics System that could guide my local Honda dealership to re code the unit.

Steve_m

Post by Steve_m » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 pm

You don’t use HDS to code the audio, you need the unlock code so the unit will register your vehicles VIN into the unit, which it will read from the engine ECU.

That code needs to come from the audio unit Supplier (D-TEN) via a Honda dealer/ Honda dealer technical support.

Panther

Post by Panther » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm

I have downloaded the Honda HR-V workshop manual. It says something about "Interactive Networking" to get the unlocking code using the serial number of the audio unit. Anyone here knows what it is ??

InkedScreenshot (165)_LI.jpg