Potential New Owner - Looking for advise

New to the Honda HR-V Forums? Introduce yourself here
HRV

Post by HRV » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:10 am

Hi All,
I am looking at buying a honda HRV EX petrol automatic ( 2016 to 2018 MY) and have been looking on Autotrader.

Are there any threads which point to known issues with engine, gearbox and any other watch outs. People seem to suggest these are made in Mexico cars. Are they a no no or is it overinflated. My budget is about 17K and i want an EX automatic, so choices are a bit limited unless i up my budget significantly.

Thank you in advance for any advise and pointers.

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am

Personally I would steer clear of the Mexican build ones. Mine is a face lift model and is coming up to 3 years old. I think many, like me, will be reaching the end of their PCP loan and will be holding off for the next model. So if you can wait until early next year, there should be a few like mine on the market.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

cb550

Post by cb550 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:45 pm

Our se nav cvt is on a '67 plate. We're the 2nd owners and had the car approx 18 months. No faults or problems to report apart from a slight 'weep' from a rear shock which Honda replaced while in its warranty period.

Based on our experience I would'nt be concerned purchasing another same year (2 years on from introduction). Of course any who have reported issues might think differently!

HRV

Post by HRV » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Thank you Colin. It's a budget thing, nothing else and the current used market seems to be on fire. I would think they are about 2K more expensive than what they would've been a year ago (i.e. before chip shortage). I need the car sooner than later.

Thanks cb550. That's reassuring. Were these cars warranted from factory for 3 yrs or 5 yrs? A 67 will be out of a 3 yr warranty but still within 5 yr warranty making buying from a third party/ car supermarket a safe bet if it has the regular service stamps.. That's the context to the question.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:28 pm

We have a 67 plate EX petrol manual, and honestly not had any of the varied problems you'll find on here, even the stop / start works as it should, service from Yeomans Honda has been first class, we tow a caravan which puts an extra load on the car but it handles that easily. Being old school I've not been put off by the touch screens or the "info" system I prefer a CD or USB for music. Sat Nav can sometimes pick an odd route but than that is not the cars fault.
No sunroof and pathetic towing limit sadly rules out the latest HR-V being offered next year for us.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

cb550

Post by cb550 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:26 pm

HRV wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:46 pm
Thank you Colin. It's a budget thing, nothing else and the current used market seems to be on fire. I would think they are about 2K more expensive than what they would've been a year ago (i.e. before chip shortage). I need the car sooner than later.

Thanks cb550. That's reassuring. Were these cars warranted from factory for 3 yrs or 5 yrs? A 67 will be out of a 3 yr warranty but still within 5 yr warranty making buying from a third party/ car supermarket a safe bet if it has the regular service stamps.. That's the context to the question.
3 year warranty pretty sure, although owners could select to purchase Honda extended warranties (I did with an 8 gen civic) Bought our HRV from a main dealer.

We live Notts but bought from a Bournmouth Honda dealer. Autotrader makes it all possible. True to say s/h car prices 'silly' at the moment. Good luck with the hunt.

P.S. owned an ex and also exgt civics and the equipment levels great. Our SE nav HRV I'd say has pretty much all we could ask for-nav, cruise, fr/rear park sensors, 17'' wheels plus the auto 'box. Mrs is very happy !

supertaff

Post by supertaff » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 pm

I don't have a auto petrol but a diesel se only had it last June I looked on many sites for the model and colure but in the end I settled with Honda approved as believe it or not they had the better deal all round with a years warranty and AA cover and to be fare the price of the cars are not that much more or can be even cheaper than most independent auto sales.

HRV

Post by HRV » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Thank you all! Feel a bit comfortable going with the older model. Back onto autotrader.

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 am

One thing you can look for, if indeed it bothers you
I think this was a common fault with the Mexico ones at one point.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Splitting air hoses is another potential problem viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1422 but quite easy to fix.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post