Hello from Essex

New to the Honda HR-V Forums? Introduce yourself here
Matello

Hello from Essex

Post by Matello » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:38 am

Hi All,
I admit I don't have a Honda HR-V, or any Honda.
I currently have a 12 year old RAV4 that at some point will need replacing and the HR-V is the car I've identified as the car I will most likely buy so generally I will be just lurking on these boards rather than posting.
At the moment I'm favouring the CVT but have seen some reviews saying it is quite sluggish. Apart from that I haven't decided on any other specifics.
Regards
M

Geoffers

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Geoffers » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Welcome aboard Matello! :D :lol: :D
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

Matello

Post by Matello » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks Geoff.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Welcome. :)

The CVT system in the HR-V is tuned for economy rather than performance, which suits my normal driving style. However, either pushing on the accelerator and a tug or two on the left paddle (which effectively drops the logical gearing by one or two steps) or selecting S mode on the gear shift indicates that you want more performance, the engine revs will rise and the vehicle becomes more energetic. If the paddles are used then the vehicle automatically reverts to the more economical behaviour once the accelerator pressure is eased. S mode persists until the gear shift is changed and effectively keeps the engine running a bit faster and more responsive at all times but the downside is higher fuel consumption. I once accidentally did a 30 mile trip in S mode and was wondering why the trip mpg was about 15% lower than usual then noticed I was in S mode.

If you want more performance than provided by the standard 1.5 litre engine then look for the HR-V Sport https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/hr-v/sport.html which has a turbo. You might find something attractive among the Honda approved used vehicles https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars .
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Matello

Post by Matello » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:08 am

Thanks for the info John.
Really interesting to know about the reasons for performance.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Matello wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:08 am
Really interesting to know about the reasons for performance.
I would also add that my understanding is that the i-VTEC system is configured to have only four inlet valves open below around 3,000 rpm. This improves the fuel-air mixing and efficiency. Above around 3,000 rpm the other four inlet valves are brought into use which increases the flow through the engine and power output but is slightly less efficient.

The CVT is configured so that the engine runs at around 2,000 rpm when cruising on the level at 60 mph and rpm is in proportion to the the vehicle speed when cruising anywhere between about 30 and 75 mph. If more power is needed for any reason (acceleration / uphill / strong headwind) then the revs are increased as necessary. The vehicle is capable of exceeding 50 mpg when cruising on A roads at 50 - 60 mph.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Relphie

Post by Relphie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:29 pm

I bought the 1.5 turbo in December and LOVE IT! TEST drive it. You won't be disappointed!
1.5 turbo in Ruse Black. LOVE IT