How to... avoid being left carless.

Honda HR-V How To
Aerodeck97

How to... avoid being left carless.

Post by Aerodeck97 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Something that may help others - I certainly didn't realise this.

Some weeks ago my car broke down with the dreaded "EP warning". Followed the instructions, dealer suggested I call HondaCare ( AA ). The mechanic couldn't resolve the problem that night but said the car was OK to drive therefore as the dealer was only a few miles away I could take it there myself. So I dropped car off at dealership next morning. Courtesy car? Sorry none available. It was suggested I call Hondacare again as they'll provide a hire car.

And here's where the problem lies. Called Hondacare but the hire car option is only available if the vehicle is recovered by HONDACARE - if you drive it there yourself then no hire car will be provided.

To cut a long story short, my dealer submitted a request for Honda to provide me with a hire car but for whatever reason this request got lost in their system. next day (saturday) Honda Europe, who provide cover over the weekend, found that request but couldn't find a single person within the Honda empire who could sign off the hire at weekends and I ended up having to pay for a replacement hire vehicle out of my own pocket. Come Monday, Honda UK appologised for the mix up and sorted out the payment with Enterprise. In the end, I didn't have to pay anything.

Several weeks later, my HR-V broke down again. Lesson learned. This time I asked for Hondacare to recover the vehicle. They followed me back to the dealership and arranged for another hire vehicle which was waiting for me.

It's a great process when it works, but if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position that Hondacare advise your car has to be returned to the dealer, even if it's driveable, my advise would be ask them to recover it - it's a lot less hassle.

richardfrost

Re: How to... avoid being left carless.

Post by richardfrost » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:35 am

Good tip. Worth knowing.

It is annoying when you are trying to be helpful but this then puts you at a disadvantage because of some small print or inflexible process.