Front suspension knocking sound

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
d13

Re: Front suspension knocking sound

Post by d13 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:46 am

Hi CataHonda,

In my case after they changed everything they could within warranty, they finally solved it probably by adjusting something. As I said there were not willing to share details on the root cause but I believe since they did it on the spot (and kept the car just half an hour) there was no time for them to change any other part of the vehicle. So maybe you have to go over this with an engineer at an official Honda dealership you can trust. I don't know if the mechanic you mention was already a Honda network mechanic or someone outside. In either case, I understand it's one of those annoying things..... I hope I could help some more.

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Whilst going through the Honda Servicing/Repair price list recently I noted over and above the normal consumables (brake pads/discs, wipers and fluids etcetera) they also make specific entries for front and rear wheel bearings and front drop links. This would indicate to me these are items that are either a known weak point or to require replacement on a more regular basis.

The front droplink entry was of particular interest to me as my previous vehicle apparently ate them at ridiculous rate; at least 2 on the NS and possibly as many as 4 on the OS. A failed droplink was indicated by a knocking noise coming from the front suspension, especially when turning the wheel. Both front droplinks were replaced at the same time around 3 years before I sold the vehicle, and that in combination with fitting a softer compound tyre seemed to do the trick.

If the source of the knocking noise from your vehicle is the front drop link I would suggest replacing them with the OEM version as I had one set replaced by ATS and the OS failed within 12 months, as did its warranty replacement. That is when I had both replaced by OEM which appeared to be going strong over 3 years later.
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

Hondahrv20182018

Post by Hondahrv20182018 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:05 pm

I have the same problem with my Honda HRV 2018 mod which has 15000 miles on the clock. I am shocked no punt intended that this happens to a car this new.

I have the click problem when sterling but also when car goes over small bump it make hard clunky noize.

The issue is the back bushes not the front link

I got a quote for parts only wishbone at 460 Drivers site and 260 Pasanger side. They don't sell the bushes on their own.

What's the difference and why is the Drivers site more expensive?

I would say as this is a known problem that they should mate the bushes available to purchase on theyr own to fix a problems with their product.

supertaff

Post by supertaff » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:09 pm

drop links are not a hard job to do and can be done on you drive if you fancy a go at doing it you self I good tip I can give you is to make sure you jack up both side of the car up at the same time as it can make it a bit harder just to jack up the side you are changing as.