Front suspension knocking sound

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
d13

Front suspension knocking sound

Post by d13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 am

Hi,

My greetings to everyone from Greece.

During the last month, I started noticing a knocking sound coming from the front every time I maneuvered for parking.
This knock was happening while turning the wheel and it became louder and louder making me think that it is something related to the steering system. The last few days this is happening even while at speed and turning and to be frank it is pretty scary hearing it while driving.

After visiting 2 dealers and tightening some bolts and nuts (which were already tightened during my recent 1st service) the second dealer diagnosed that there was a problem with the front suspension. Unfortunately, because Honda's sales in Greece are.......not so good :oops: it was the first HRV ever to reach the repair shop so they had to contact the main dealer for further instructions.

First response came after a week and they suggested replacing the bearings of the top mounts but..........there are no spare parts available at the moment.
I will have to wait 20-30 days at least and we will see. I hope that solves the problem and I don't have to wait for another month in case an extra part is needed :) .

Has anyone else had any issues with the suspension system so far? Has anyone done any work under warranty?

BRs,
Dimitris

freskos

Re: Front suspension knocking sound

Post by freskos » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi Dimitri,

I have a 2018 HRV and just started noticing the same scary knocking sound. Can you please share the follow-up on this topic? Did you solve it and how/where?

Thanks,
Stavros

d13

Post by d13 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:09 am

Hi Stavro,

At first, I visited a well known Honda service in South-West Athens . They replaced the bearings of the top mounts within warranty (it took over a month for the spare parts to come). After that, the problem was still not 100% solved and still had knocking sounds (milder but still there). The issue was finally solved in the main dealership in Athens (Saracakis). They handed it to one of their head engineers and he finally nailed it. Unfortunately, they were not willing to share what the root cause of the problem was :( but after that, I had no problems with the suspension again. As I understood though there is no concern about the safety of the vehicle so don't worry and use the vehicle normally.

I hope I helped,
Dimitris

freskos

Post by freskos » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am

Hello Dimitri and thank you for your prompt response! Is there a (mechanic's) name in Saracakis that I can use as a reference to your case when I go there? As the knocking sound does not occur systematically but rather randomly, I fear that if I go there with no reference it is possible (and most probable) that there will be no knocking occurring in their hands and I will have no progress.

Finally, if possible, I would appreciate if we have a small phone chat on this topic. I do not see how I can send you a private message in this forum so you can send me your phone by mail if you wish and I will call you back. My mail address is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Admin. There is a private messaging system at the top of this page.
Thanks again!

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:14 pm

freskos wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am
Finally, if possible, I would appreciate if we have a small phone chat on this topic. I do not see how I can send you a private message in this forum so you can send me your phone by mail if you wish and I will call you back. My mail address is xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
I would edit your post and remove your email as soon as possible. That is a sure way of getting hacked. Before you know it you will be sending out spam mail and get yourself blacklisted.

Thank you Colin. Admin
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 am

Sounds to me like a classic case of a worn CV joint but this normally produces more of a clicking sound. Typically heard during low speed manoeuvres with the steering on a lock, such as when trying to reverse into a parking space.
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.

freskos

Post by freskos » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:45 am

If it were a CV join I would expect it to be more of a metallic sound. In my case it sounds more like a rubber-like type of sound. The dealership has made a visual inspection and said that everything seems to be OK. I am guessing it might be related to top-mount shock silent blocks or something similar

freskos

Post by freskos » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:46 am

ColinS wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:14 pm
freskos wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am
Finally, if possible, I would appreciate if we have a small phone chat on this topic. I do not see how I can send you a private message in this forum so you can send me your phone by mail if you wish and I will call you back. My mail address is xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
I would edit your post and remove your email as soon as possible. That is a sure way of getting hacked. Before you know it you will be sending out spam mail and get yourself blacklisted.

Thank you Colin. Admin
Thank you Admin !