marsid37

Re: Spare Wheel

Post by marsid37 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Sorry John ........ that should be T135 /80 R16 for Spacesaver

Regards

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Your T135/80 R16 is 1.1" smaller diameter than the T135/90 R16 I was supplied with by Cox Motor Parts which, in turn, is 0.7" smaller diameter than the standard 215/55 R17 wheel (the 16" wheel option is 0.1" less than this). So that's cumulatively 1.8" smaller diameter between the Civic spacesaver and the HR-V standard wheel which could well make the car look and feel lop-sided.

It's unfortunate that whoever specified the Civic's spacesaver didn't go a size bigger (probably because it would add a few ounces to the total weight) as the HR-V's spacesaver on the Civic would be slightly big but probably acceptable (0.7" larger diameter).
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

marsid37

Post by marsid37 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:37 pm

Ah well, I will just have to put it on e-bay , I am sure there is a Civic owner out there looking for a half price bargain .

Thanks for your help,it is most appreciated

Villenoir

Post by Villenoir » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:50 pm

I kept my space saver from my 8th Gen Civic. I bought it directly from Honda when the sell by date expired on my foam tyre repair kit. I think I paid £110 five/ six years ago.

I haven't tried to see if it fits my 2016 HR-V...yet.
At the end of the day its a space saver. Only to go a short distance and a max speed of 50mph or so.

beardyrich

Post by beardyrich » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:22 am

I've been thinking about obtaining a space-saver wheel from Cox's but I am now thinking of just using the supplied puncture repair kit and buying a full size 'take-off' wheel instead and keeping it in my garage. The reasoning is that most punctures are slow and the repair kit should seal the tyre until I can get back home to change the wheel. The other consideration is my missus, who would struggle much more to change a wheel at the roadside instead of just using the repair kit, and getting me to change the wheel once she got back home.
2017 HR-V Ex. CVT in Morpho Blue.

alanhr-v

Post by alanhr-v » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:11 am

Don't think the dunge would repair this from a USA HRV having done 4K

IMG_0317_1500846933207.jpg

HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC EX. CVT. White Orchid Pearl.
Previous- HR-V 1.5 I-VTEC EX. MAN. Sporty Blue.
Civic 1.8 I-VTEC EX. MAN. Alabaster Siver.
Two Jazz EX

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:59 am

I look on the space saver as being an insurance policy against getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere in a place where there's no mobile phone signal. Should the worst happen then some passing motorist might lend a hand if needed. I also have a wheel spanner with a telescopic handle on the assumption that the nuts will be too tight for the spanner supplied with the vehicle. There is also the potential problem that some tyre repair places aren't willing to clean up the gunge and will want to provide a new tyre. Note that if you buy from Cox then you can get a discount viewtopic.php?f=6&p=1599#p1599.

Any small puncture should trigger an alert from the TPMS but be aware that this system can sometimes give false alarms. I had one of these about a month ago when travelling on the motorway when returning from a long trip around Scotland. The vehicle felt OK so I carried on to my next stop about 20 miles later when a look and poke of the tyres suggested nothing abnormal, so I told the TPMS to redo its calibration. That was a month ago and it has kept quiet since then. People have overlooked the need to do the calibration (the TPMS works by comparing the average rotation speed of the wheels, not by directly reading the tyre pressures) and then get more alarms.
Last edited by John Ratsey on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Geoffers

Post by Geoffers » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:00 pm

The last puncture I had was caused by hitting the edge of on umarked chicane in an area I'd never been in before and miles away from home. The chicane was hidden by parked cars!
That resulted in a hole in the tyre wall about the size of a snooker ball.
Fortunately, the car I had at the time (A Class Merc) had a full size spare. But, I still had to try 3 tyre bays before I found one that stocked the same tyre!!
Ever since then I've bought and carried a normal wheel and matching tyre in every Honda I've had!
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

dun

Post by dun » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:33 pm

To be honest, what we would expect from a very standard and most frequent puncture on the road is just pressure going slowly or more rapidly out of the tire, If slowly, just use a pump from time to time and drive home. If rapidly use this repair kit. Still I have a question as someone was mentioning here total tire would be useless after that, others saying no, mechanics could get rid of the glue nowadays. So who is right?

Another idea is gluing a large flat piece of metal, a plate (with a welded kind of nut in the middle, the nut for the securing the bolt) to the bare surface of the well floor. The key issue here is that the glue should be not 100% hardening, should remain slightly soft, flexible). The larger surface of the plate the better grip will be, it will hold up any jumping of the spare wheel in the boot.
My car is 2016 Honda HRV 1.6 I-DTEC ES-NAVI , made in Mexico, UK version.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Didn't get a spare wheel but bought one from a Honda dealer (at about 1/2 list price https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/roweshondaparts) the EX model has an anchor point to secure them but the other models apparently do not. I'm currently debating getting a full size (matching) alloy as well ( Ebay approx £85 )
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Return to “Faults & Technical”