Spare Wheel

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
jaybew42

Spare Wheel

Post by jaybew42 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:21 pm

The Australian HRV has a specification with a bigger boot size than the UK HRV, it comes with a spare wheel. If the UK HRV doesn't come with a spare wheel, is it possible to buy one as an approved accessory?

ronsp

Re: Spare Wheel

Post by ronsp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Just ordered a HR-V at the weekend and a part of the deal managed to get the dealership to throw it a space saver spare wheel valued between £180 - £200. Delivery is possibly around a week but since I am off on holiday in a few days delivery is set for 23rd of the month

shipsinker

Post by shipsinker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 pm

yep I held tight until they threw one into my deal as well, they just said hopefully before the end of the month.
Owner since September 2015. SE Navi 1.6 in Morpho Blue Pearl

ey65

Post by ey65 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Took delivery of my HRV today. Dealer threw in a spare wheel on the order but on collection told me they are unable to supply them. They have spoken to Honda who have told them no spare wheel is available.
Have your HRVs been delivered with spare wheels?

ronsp

Post by ronsp » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:52 am

My dealer parts department has been persuing the spare wheel for the last three weeks with no success so far. I was just about to post to see if anyone had any luck getting a spare wheel but it looks like it's a non starter.

ronsp

Post by ronsp » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:48 pm

The parts department on my dealer has finally come up with a solution regarding lack of availability of a space saver spare from Honda. The Civic space saver will fit the HR-V the only problem being there will be no way to secure the spare in the boot. Their suggestion is to use super grip velco to stop the spare moving around. I have agreed to the suggestion and should have the space saver middle of next week.

MikeH

Post by MikeH » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:37 am

We are lucky in South Africa, we get a full size alloy spare wheel in the 1.8CVT model. Possibly due to the potholes in some parts of the country.

Aerodeck97

Post by Aerodeck97 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:17 pm

ronsp wrote:The parts department on my dealer has finally come up with a solution regarding lack of availability of a space saver spare from Honda. The Civic space saver will fit the HR-V the only problem being there will be no way to secure the spare in the boot. Their suggestion is to use super grip velco to stop the spare moving around. I have agreed to the suggestion and should have the space saver middle of next week.
Always thought that a problem, unless someone is willing to tap a screwhole thru the bodywork (isn't there isn't one already under the carpet - hard to imagine Honda building a completely different shell just for the UK market). I don't have my HR-V yet, perhaps someone can check?

If you don't mind me saying, that sounds a truly awful solution - velcro ain't going to secure something as heavy as a spare wheel, it's going to rattle like hell. Perhaps a better solution would be sourcing some polystyrene / foam block, shaping it to it the spare wheel well and then cutting out an area for the wheel to sit in. It'll still rattle, just not so bad.

Do they supply a jack with the spare wheel? And what about a wrench to loosen the wheel nuts? Is that going to be secured down with velcro too?

How much is this all costing? If it's simply a temp. wheel off a Civic I'm sure some breakers will have nearly new if not brand new wheels at a fraction of the price. From memory I think Ford charged £90 for a spare, Renault certainly were wanting £90 for it on the Kadjar. The Tucson had a full size spare included. You could certainly order all the parts (including those polystyrene/foam surrounds) for the Qashqai.

Not even having the option of a spare wheel sounds rather crazy. Can't think of any other manufacturer that doesn't offer a spare wheel option.

Just a thought - I'm really not that familiar with Honda having bought my last one in 1997, but looking at the CR-V specifications, that comes with a spare - "Spare Temper Tyre T155/90D17 101M". I'd be tempted to look at how that's fixed / size of wheel well on the CR-V - might find a better solution if you go down that avenue.

ronsp

Post by ronsp » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 pm

The jack etc is stored behind a panel on the right handside of the boot along with container holding the emergency puncture repair fluid.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:41 am

I would think that eventually Honda may come out with a space saver spare for the HR-V but if so and since there is no screw hole for a retaining clamp it will need to come up with some means of securing it. Although it would be a bit heavier I intend looking into getting a full size wheel option which should fit into the spare wheel well perfectly.

Return to “Faults & Technical”