Intermittent 'Heavy Breathing' Noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
excalibur

Post by excalibur » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I have an HRV EX 1500 Auto 130BHP, first registered in December 2018 with nearly 50,000 miles on the clock. Up to date with main dealer in terms of servicing and maintenance

In the last month there has been an intermittent 'heavy breathing' noise (similar to the burner of a hot air balloon burner firing up!) from the front of the car whilst driving along. This can be clearly heard in the cabin, happens for a few seconds, goes off and then comes back on a a few seconds or so later.

I thought it was the aircon, but got this checked out by a mobile air con expert who could find nothing wrong with the aircon (and of course, the intermittent noise was not there).

I chatted with a mechanic online who suggested that it could be an air leak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for. He suggested checking the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. Also, the brake servo unit too.

I checked all of the above (as far as I was able), but could find no cracks or splits or loose clips.

Before I head off to the main dealer (30+ miles away), can anyone suggest anything else. I'm reminded that my warranty expires mid December so want get this sorted before then.

Grateful thanks in advance

Mike (Hampshire)

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:04 pm

Splitting hoses is not unknown viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1422 but I think that problem only afflicts the diesel versions and results in a confusing warning.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post