Any thoughts on using E10 petrol in my 2019 HR-V Sport?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Templar

Post by Templar » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:17 pm

I just received an email from Shell UK informing me that they will be discontinuing the sale of 95 octane petrol from September and replacing it with E10 fuel. For the present they will continue to sell 99 octane (V Power) petrol. I currently use Shell V Power in my HR-V Sport as a believe, rightly or wrongly, that since it has a turbo, direct injection engine, the extra additives might help prevent inlet valve build-up said to be associated with this design of engine. This is the first I have heard of E10 petrol so I did a bit of Googling to see if it might be O.K. to switch from V Power but I'm not sure I liked what I read and wonder what others think. First of all, I thought that the Government Website where I could check if it was O.K. to use E10 in my car, was a bit 'woolly' and I didn't like their 'If it damages your engine don't blame us, blame the motor industry who supplied us with the wrong information' (perhaps I'm a bit cynical after the Covid-19 carry-on). The two main things that emerged from my search were that E10 might damage seals and fuel lines and also that damage might also occur to catalytic converter cores (expensive!). There was also the odd comment about reduced performance and increased consumption but these seemed to be very minor. I look forward to what others might think.

Current car, 2019 1500cc Honda HR-V Turbo Sport.
My HR-V: 2019 Honda 5 Door 1.5I VTEC Turbo Sport (Manual). Colour: Platinum White.
Previous cars: 8th, 9th & 10th Generation Civics.

Deleted User 1750

Post by Deleted User 1750 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:52 pm

From the Government website;

"Honda

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all European models with petrol engines equipped with electronic control fuel injection system (HONDA PGM-FI).

All Honda motorcycles and mopeds produced for the EU market since 1993 can use ethanol-blended gasoline up to 10% although carburettor-equipped models could experience poor driveability in cold weather conditions.

I'm still not sure if my vehicle is E10 compatible

If you're not sure if you can use E10 in your vehicle:

check the vehicle owner's manual, the instructional booklet is specific to your vehicle
look inside of the fuel filler flap
ask the car, motorcycle or scooter manufacturer

If you're still not sure, use E5 petrol. It will still be available in the super grade at many filling stations."

Send an email or letter to HUK Customer Services and get them to confirm in writing whether your vehicle can use E10 or not.

You may find this of interest;

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fu ... %20Ethanol

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 pm

I know mine is E10 compatible as are most from 2007 (I believe) besides its on the inside of the fuel cap cover panel. E10 only affects OLD vehicles and their seals etc.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

Deleted User 1750

Post by Deleted User 1750 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:51 pm

They have had E10 gasoline in the US for a number of years, and the only issues they comment on is a slight drop off in BHP, and MPG which you may or may not even notice.

They also sell E15 fuels in the US, which does not appear to cause any issues either.

There was a fair bit of chatter on various forums about owners being stranded at the side of the road, engines and components being wrecked when they introduced E5 or £7 diesel, nearly 10 years ago. My previous vehicle passed all the subsequent MoT emmission tests, and was almost exclusively ran on supermarket regular, which also seems to cause great debate.

Not related to E10 fuels in particular, but after a spate of wrong fuel in pumps, or fuel pump cleaning detergent not being removed from pumps, being reported in the press, I pay for my fuel by card that way I have a permanent record of when and where I purchased it from that may or may not prove handy if my vehicle was to suffer any issues after using a particular fuel station.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post