Battery disconnection

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
dipstick

Battery disconnection

Post by dipstick » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 pm

With my HR-V standing idle during lockdown I have needed to re-charge the battery a couple of times. Is anybody aware of any problem that would/could occur by simply disconnecting the negative lead from the battery and leaving it disconnected to prevent discharge ?

(2016HR-V EXI-VTECH CVT)

Apart of course that it will not lock/unlock.

John Ratsey

Re: Battery disconnection

Post by John Ratsey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:37 pm

The alarm system also won't work (I wonder if that's the main reason for the battery drain as it's an ultrasonic alarm constantly checking for changes in the cabin). I cant think of other horrible side-effects. Older Honda Jazzes would forget their radio code when the power was disconnected but newer Jazzes and the HR-V store the radio code in the ECU. I remember disconnecting / reconnecting the battery on my HR-V soon after I got it in an attempt to get the stop-start to work (it did help).
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

Geoffers

Post by Geoffers » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 pm

How old is the battery?
Perhaps a new battery is the answer?
Geoff in York driving a (19) Blue Diesel SE!

Previously, had 4 Jazzes - 1 #1 & 3 #2's, and a (66) White HR-V SE Navi diesel!

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:03 am

Thank you John & Geoffers,

The battery is the age of the car I assume (I bought it second hand 2 years ago). I have never owned an AGM battery before but I would have expected it to last more than 4 years based on past experience of lead acid batteries. I'm just going to fit an earth isolation switch, lock it, disconnect it and leave it after the next charge. I'll see what transpires. It's difficult to know whats happenning with battery drain but it looks like a constant 40ma drain when it's locked and checked the easiest way I can check it with a DC clamp meter.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:55 pm

The ultrasonic alarm system could well account for that 40mA drain. Would a solar charger be an alternative? This one plugs into the OBDII socket so there's no need to route the leads from a charger on the dashboard to the battery. However, it may not be much use if the vehicle is parked in a very shady place.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks John, I've never seen a panel that connects to the OBD before, sounds an idea, but Im not too sure I'm keen on it. Our campervan is parked next to the car with a load of solar available on it. Maybe I'll hook into that if we don't use the car much in the immediate future. Thanks a good idea.