Petrol Engine Running Rich

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Hadleys Taxi

Petrol Engine Running Rich

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 am

Since purchasing my vehicle in March of this year I occasionally noticed the vehicle seemed to burn rich when starting the vehicle first thing in the morning. Now that the daily temperature is hovering around single figures, the strong whiff of petrol is ever present when starting after it has been sat for a while.

Is this normal? Is any one else on here experiencing this?

I also notice a 'chemical/gassy' smell when checking the oil, again, is this also normal? I have not noticed the oil level rise over the last 7 months or so, if anything it appears to be dropping, but still well within range. I regularly do a lot of short journeys for work hence why I traded in my diesel for a petrol.

The HR-V is the first petrol engined vehicle I have owned for 10 years, even my works vehicles were all diesels, so I am a little out of the loop on such things, so apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

Templar

Re: Petrol Engine Running Rich

Post by Templar » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:40 pm

I've noticed that my HR-V Sport is running a bit rich on start-up since the colder weather set in but just put it down to engine management compensating for the reduced temperature (In the old days we used to use a bit extra choke in the winter). I've read a lot on the web about Honda direct injection, turbo charged engines having an oil dilution problem (making oil) but it mainly seems to be in the US of A where 100 yard car journeys are not uncommon and the engine never heats up enough to evaporate any fuel that may find its way past the pistons into the sump. I've been keeping a close eye on my oil level and am happy to say that all is well, so far. However, it is very seldom that any of my journeys are less than 10 miles and most are considerably more as I live in the countryside some distance from shops etc. Having said that, my brother, who lives in town, is having oil dilution problems with his direct injection, turbo petrol Mercedes and I have heard of similar problems with VW Golfs.
My HR-V: 2019 Honda 5 Door 1.5I VTEC Turbo Sport (Manual). Colour: Platinum White.
Previous cars: 8th, 9th & 10th Generation Civics.

cb550

Post by cb550 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Don't drive our's daily, but my partner does; approx 6 mile suburban each journey from cold.

She reports no unusual smells, and neither have I noticed any when I do drive the car. I'll check the oil level thursday and if above max will report.

Would'nt have thought the smell of petrol vapour in or around the car normal to be honest.

I take it the petrol smell only occurs after the car is started ?

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks both for your responses.

I only notice the smell at start up if the vehicle has been left for a considerable amount of time, and it does seem to be only when the weather is cold.

I was just surprised to be taken back to when I ran a Talbot Horizon and Ford Capri in the late 80's!

As it would appear to be normal, I'll just keep an eye on it and mention it in passing at its service in March.

Once again, thanks all.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue