Batteries & Stop Start

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Sammysmiths

Re: Batteries & Stop Start

Post by Sammysmiths » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:01 pm

I recently bought a 2015 HRV and the SS refuses to engage. Ok, the car is sat on the drive for the majority of time, and any journeys are short. I get the battery and AC warnings when i come to a stop. I took the car back to my nearest Honda (Vertu) dealership and they charged the battery. All was good and the SS functioned as advertised. However, 3 days later, back to normal ways and its failing to engage again.
I only have about 4 weeks left on the warranty so can i push for a new battery or will they just blame it on the situation of minimal driving?

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:56 pm

I suffered several years of the same problem. If the vehicle wasn't used for more than a couple of days then the S/S system sulked. I left the vehicle with the dealer for a couple of days shortly before the warrantly expired but the battery passed whatever standard tests. As my HR-V was used intermittently I just pt the battery on charge the day before I planned to use it.

Honda configured the stop-start system to be very cautious and it wants the battery to very near fully charged before it works. In addition, I concluded that one of the checks is only done when the vehicle is initially started on a trip. If that check fails then S/S won't work on that trip. I discovered this when I had a Mk 3 Jazz (same S/S system) and was frustrated when I drove 100 miles with S/S showing low battery. Then, on another trip, I went from home about 3 miles to a local petrol station without S/S working but, once the vehicle had been stopped and restarted then the S/S was happy. Evidently, the battery had been topped up enough by the 3 miles of driving so the battery then passed that initial check.

If the battery is original then it will be approaching 6 years old and past its best. I've read good things about this battery seller https://www.tayna.co.uk/ but have never used them. However, you might find that a new battery just extends the period before the S/S goes into a sulk rather than get rid of the problem.
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:48 am

It would appear Stop/Start issues is not just a Honda thing. Bought a couple of car mags recently for the first time in years, and one of the things the roadtesters seem to pick up on when commenting on their long termers is just how tempermental Stop/Start is.

I'm just going to take as a rule of thumb, that Stop/Start is not going to work when the weather is cold. The temperature around here for the last fortnight or so has been as high as 15C+ to a 'Feels Like' -8C, and even after a long 100 mile blast along the motorway, the S/S has still failed to activate.
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:23 am

Mine works flawlessly all year round but I can confirm what John said
one of the checks is only done when the vehicle is initially started on a trip. If that check fails then S/S won't work on that trip
In that case, if you switch off and start up again, it continues to work.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 am

Like ColinS mine has worked as it should from day 1, once you get your head around what stops it, (aircon, demist etc) everything is good. We must have had a good (MEX) one as after 3+ years its not given us any concerns, and our dealer (Yeomans Churt) have been brilliant.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

LolPeake

Post by LolPeake » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Doesn’t matter what car you have or the make though some are better than others. Starter motor life & starter ring on the flywheel are cycle related. Yes they are heavy duty but if you don’t want long term issues, switch it off. Same with retracting wing mirrors and pax side tilting mirror when reversing. Mechanical & electrical items have a life no matter what and yes they are more robust than a normal system but they will fail with use. It’s simple, if the item has 100,000 life and you use it, if used twice a day that’s 50,000 days of life. Used 10 times a day that’s 10,000 days. My friend who is an auto electrician spends his days fixing and replacing failed wiring of retracting mirrors, tail gate wiring that operate rear lights, boot locks, rear wipers that don’t work anymore. He loves it of course as it keeps him in business.

ColinS

Post by ColinS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:23 pm

I try not to walk too much these days. Don't want my legs to stop working when I get old ;) .
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual