Batteries & Stop Start

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
dcdick

Batteries & Stop Start

Post by dcdick » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:11 pm

Been reading about the problems with batteries & "stop start"....not good

My last 2 Honda's (CRV's) have had this "stop start" system which I normally switch off as I really don't see the advantage gained as the pollution avoided by sitting for a (usually) very short time with the engine off is more or less lost by restarting.

My question is...... Are the current models (Made in Japan) better or worse than the Mex models that seemed to start all this nonsense with batteries when the HRV re-appeared in 2015 ?

And I thought my last CRV (SE+ Nav) was a unnecessarily complex car :lol:
HRV. EX 1.6 D Reus Black Metallic

Previous. 2 Civic's & 2 CRV's

ColinS

Re: Batteries & Stop Start

Post by ColinS » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:24 am

With the CVT (2019 face lift, made in Japan) model, I generally tend to only apply sufficient pressure to the foot brake in order to get the 'brake hold' to activate. Unless I will be stopped for some time, then I press the brake a little harder to activate the auto stop before releasing it. If you don't have 'brake hold' switched on (it isn't by default), then you would need to keep your foot on the brake. With 'brake hold' activated, you can take your foot off the pedal.

A slight depression of the accelerator pedal will start the engine and then further depression will release the brake. A slight nudge of the steering wheel also starts the engine.

I never disable the stop-start but seldom invoke it and when I do it works flawlessly. With little practice you will not find it an issue, I'm sure of that.

I never owned one but I believe that any model prior to the face lift, i.e. before September 2018, you will need to keep your foot on the brake pedal, regardless of 'brake hold'.
HR-V EX CVT (2019 face lift model) Midnight Blue Beam.
Previously MKIII Jazz EX Manual

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:54 am

I have a 2017 model EX and can honestly say the only time stop / start doesn't work is in keeping with the manual, at every other time it works as described, no problem with the battery either, with 24k miles so far it has been faultless in my experience. maybe I got a good one. Personally I like the stop start, and brake hold, which for towing is a god send.
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

dcdick

Post by dcdick » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:34 pm

The brake hold is good & works the way I expect it to, no issues there

After reading Colin's post above I will give his technique a go, seems like a good "half way house" between automation & driver controlled automation :)
HRV. EX 1.6 D Reus Black Metallic

Previous. 2 Civic's & 2 CRV's

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Start/Stop was (and still is) quite a contentious issue on my previous vehicles owners forum. On their I don't think people realised just how much the mere fitment of the system reduced their VED, compared to the same model fitted without it, even if they did choose to switch it off. At least with Honda you don't pay a premium for batteries for having it fitted, Skoda charged £210 for a Stop/Start battery compared to £125 for non Stop/Start vehicles.

Now that my journey to work has increased, Stop/Start has more or less worked faultlessly, to the point I don't give it a second thought.

One thing I would highlight is, having recently started a part time job as a school patroller the one thing I noticed fairly early on was the amount of fumes emitted from the vehicles of parents dropping off or picking up their children. I'm now more prone to headaches and feeling nauseous. Personnel employed at the RN Fire School in Portsmouth had to undergo regular chest X-rays to monitor any damage caused by smoke inhalation (up until the mid to late 90's they used to burn barrels of oil, but have since switched to gas!) If I consider doing this job for longer, it may be something I will have to seriously consider.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

Mrjohn

Post by Mrjohn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:23 pm

Hi I've a 2017 hrv the stop/ start been working fine until recently then nothing tried running engine without radio no light apart from DRL not even the blower turned off the drive time was about an hour basically all motor way nothing still came up with the battery icon and a/c had battery checked that's ok anyone had anything like this thanks

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Unfortunately yes.

I probably jinxed myself after my previous post, but for about the last two months or so I've not noted Stop/Start activating. Like you I'm getting the Battery and A/C indicator as the cause of it failing to activate.

To be fair to the system, the early morning temperature around here from October to May barely rises above 2 or 3C, and I'm also doing a lot of shorter journeys than I was previously, both of which won't help. However, I have done a handful of journeys of 30 or 40 miles or so and it still failed to activate after that.

I'm due a service in March so I'll get them to check it over and maybe look at investing in a new battery, and see if that helps.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:05 pm

As I've noted elsewhere, the auto stop/start does one of its battery conditions checks when the engine is started and, if that check fails (eg voltage too low) then the result applies until the engine is next started even if you've driven 100 miles. My experience is that the battery loses enough voltage in two or three days of the vehicle standing to trigger this problem. I left the HR-V at the dealer for a couple of days to do a proper battery test and they declared the battery to be fine. Another related problem is that there's too-clever control of the battery charging in order to reduce the power taken off by the engine by the alternator (which fractionally affects the mpg) and results in the battery not getting fully charged. One fix I read is to turn accessories such as the headlights on which increases the electricity drain and causes the alternator to work harder.

The A/C symbol relates to the cabin heating as well as the air conditioning. The auto stop/start is disabled if the difference between target and actual cabin temperature exceeds some threshold. The allowable temperature difference can be increased by pressing the green Econ button (this is hinted at in the manual) and turning the heater fan off before the car is stopped in traffic will eliminate A/C being a cause of the stop/start failing to activate.

My HR-V was rehomed some months ago and my Crosstar doesn't suffer the low battery problem. However, cold weather is still hitting the mpg badly as the engine has to run to provide cabin heating (whereas the aircon is electrically powered). Winter mpg won't improve until the official tests include a cold weather component to motivate manufacturers to address this major aspect of inefficiency (eg put thermostatic blinds on the engine compartment).
Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info, John. Every day is a School Day.

Regards,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:35 pm

FYI I attach a list of the auto stop/start disable conditions (inconveniently the forum doesn't allow pdf attachments). The 12V battery is at bottom of page 2 / top of page 3 although "12 volt battery voltage is insufficient" doesn't explain the threshold criteria.

HR-V auto stop start parameters_Page_1.jpg

HR-V auto stop start parameters_Page_2.jpg

HR-V auto stop start parameters_Page_3.jpg

HR-V auto stop start parameters_Page_4.jpg

Honda Jazz Crosstar Previously 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT