Upgrading Bulbs to LED

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Hadleys Taxi

Re: Upgrading Bulbs to LED

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm just in the process of informing the supplier that I'm returning some of the LED's due to hyperflashing.

I've had a pootle around with what I think works for me and what doesn't, and I'm pretty happy at the moment to just havethe DRL's as LED. I'm not that fussed about upgrading the Reversing Lights as I've read mixed reviews as to whether there is actually an improvement or not.

I may at some point look at upgrading the headlights to LED, but I'll wait until I've driven the car in the dark for a few weeks or so before deciding if they are suitiable or not. One of the things I was immediately impressed with coming from my 2003 Civic to my 2010 Octavia was just how good the headlights were on the Skoda despite both vehicles having halogen bulbs. So I'll wait and see.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 pm

These bulbs https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... sion-9-32v make the standard HR-V bulbs look like candles. They have an excellent beam pattern and the dipped headlights illuminate the nearside edge of the road very well. I find I have to disable the auto mainbeam function as the mainbeam is like floodlights. For me they have made night time driving OK. Previously I found it very challenging as my eyes are well past their best before date.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm

And we have a winner!!!!

I contacted ABD about returning my original purchases due to hyperflashing and they recommended the following bulbs https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/582-t ... bulbs.html which work a treat; nice bright orange, and more importantly, no hyperflashing, even during the One Touch Lane Changing 3 Flashes.

So far I am really impressed with them, and they stand out even with the LED DRL's.

Regards,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks. Those look to be nice bulbs, but expensive.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Just another update.

It was raining fairly heavily last night so I took the opportunity to drive my vehicle for the first time in both the rain and the dark - sunset is around 2200 at the moment.

The indicators are nice and bright and can still be seen even with the DRL's or dipped beam on. I would have some serious questions to ask if another driver stated they could not tell my intended direction of travel. For comparison, whilst sat at a set of lights I was only really able to tell the vehicle facing me was intending to turn left due to their left front fog light being on - I miss the 'cornering fog light function' from my previous vehicle, handy in some poorly lit areas. They were actually indicating left, but due to them being the slimline 'eagle eye' type indicators it was really difficult to make them out against the other lights they had on.

Any way. as for further LED upgrades, on the limited time I was out last night, so far the headlights seemed to light up the road ahead more than adequately for me, especially when the High Beam Assist kicked in. That is a really useful function that will get a great deal of use. The reall test of just how good they are or not will be when lockdown regulations are relaxed enough for me to travel on the poorly lit roads to my parents.

Question for John Ratsey, did the LED's you fitted to your brake and reversing lights have a noticeable improvement to their performance/visibility?

Regards,

HT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Evening All,

Guess who has just learned how to upload videos to YuTube??!!

Here is a quick video showing the LED's I purchased from ABD.co.uk.

https://youtu.be/bHcDc48RiOw

The LED's I purchased are listed in the descripton.

Enjoy.

HT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Just upgraded the reversing lights to LED.

1. The owners manual states on page 526 to use a flat tipped screwdriver wrapped in a cloth to pry/remove the cover. I had to use two trim removal tools to get enough leverage to prise them open.
2. The OSR was a little difficult to remove.
3. The NSF was a right pig to remove, it would only rotate slightly before I had to (gently) resort to using pliers to get it to move fully. Glad i was only removing it to upgrade the bulbs and it wasn't on the way for an MoT.
4. The above effort was well worth it. I had to wait until 2245 for it to get really dark to try them out, but they really light up my drive.

That just remains for the headlights to upgrade. I will wait a few months to see what they are like when it is dark for most of the day before deciding if the halogens are sufficient or not.

Regards,

HT