Upgrading Bulbs to LED

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
Hadleys Taxi

Upgrading Bulbs to LED

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm looking to upgrade some of my exterior bulbs to LED on my SE. Is there a definitive list of what are direct replacements? And is there anything I should be aware of? My previous vehicle was prone to selective BCM units; some vehicles would accept LED bulbs without issue, whereas others would fry the BCM so I did not risk it.

Finally, it looks like all my interior lights except the boot and vanity mirror lights are LED, is this standard for UK spec, as I find it strange either Honda (or even the previous owner) would fit LED's to all the interior lights except three? I've subsequently changed the boot light, and will get round to the vanity mirrors eventually.

Regards,

HT
2016 Honda HR-V 1.5 SE iVTEC in Brilliant Sporty Blue

John Ratsey

Re: Upgrading Bulbs to LED

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 am

I went through this process soon after getting my HR-V. The first step was to put in the ClassicCarLED H4 bulbs discussed here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.0 (I used to have a Jazz and still keep a foot in that forum). They have an excellent beam pattern, made night driving much less challenging on the eyes and have been through a couple of MOT tests without comment.

I also upgraded the side lights which also serve as the DRLs so that they are visible in the day time and then had to find some orange LED bulbs for the indicator lights which are in the same cluster (a problem with many vehicles and a very bad design feature as the light from DRLs tends to drown the light from the indicators). I found a suitable LED for the boot light (much brighter than the incandescent bulb it replaced) and finally found some bulbs with LEDs on the ends for the reversing lights. I don't have links for these various bulbs - bought on ebay several years ago. It's a matter of taking a bulb out to check the fitting and then searching for an LED version. Given the low cost of the low power LED bulbs (the headlight bulbs are another matter) I'm surprised that they aren't fitted as standard in the factory.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks for that, John.

I've found a list of appropriate bulbs on an American based HR-V forum, just slightly bamboozled by the list of numbers and letters they appear to give the products that to my eye do not appear to tally with anything in the UK!

Also, do I have to ensure the LED's are CANBUS friendly, or does it not really matter?

I've found a couple of helpful 'how to' vids which I'll post once I've tried them out. I've also found quite a few not so helpful videos, one in which the person removes the rear hatch panel, even though as several people pointed out to him, there were two access panels to avoid you doing that!

Once again, thanks for your response.

Regards,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:05 pm

My recollection is that there's no need to worry about being CANBUS-friendly (description at https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/ca ... bulbs/293/ ). This https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/car-bulb-finder.html might help identify which types of bulbs you need (I haven't tried using it). Also, when looking for info globally, note that in Asia the HR-V is call the Vezel and most HR-V and Vezel parts are interchangeable.

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri May 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Just a wee update.

I have fitted https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/580-l ... gance.html to my vehicle, and am quite pleased with the result.

Honda HR-V LED Light Upgrade (11) Briskoda Halogen.jpg

Honda HR-V LED Light Upgrade (10) Briskoda LED.jpg

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Fri May 15, 2020 4:12 pm

I have also replaced the indicators with these https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/582-l ... gance.html. There is a slight improvment to their brightness and clarity with the front indicators (which, unfortunately, does not show up on the attached images), but probably not enough to convince anyone sitting on the fence especially when you take the cost comparison into account.

The rear indicators are a differenct matter. The above LED's appear to be more noticeable as you approach the rear from the side compared to their halogon counterparts. I even checked to confirm the halogen bulbs were seated correctly, which they were. Again, this does not show up particularly well on the attached images, but does on the video footage I took. However, they do hyperflash. I am not particularly bothered about that (it is about 3 flashes per second) nor the fast ticking from the dash.

I have not had a chance to drive my vehicle in the dark since installing them due to sunrise being at 0500 and sunset being near 2200, so am unsure if they are too bright to be a distraction or blind other drivers. If that is the case, they will get hoyed regardless of the improvement to the rear.

For both front and rear indicators, the halogen bulbs are first, then the LED's.

Rear Light Halogen HRV Forum.jpg

Rear Light LED HR-V Forum.jpg

Front Light Halogen HR-V Forum.jpg

Front Light LED HR-V Forum.jpg

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Mon May 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Just a quick update to this.

Whilst I could tolerate the hyperflash fast clicking noise from the dash and the 3-4 flashes per second when the idicators are activated, a recent journey on the motorway highlighted one issue with hyperflashing which I am not prepared to compromise on. The 'One-Push Turn Signal' (page 177 of the manual) automatically gives three flashes of the indicator you have lightly activated, lasting for approximately 2-3 seconds. As a consequence of the hyperflashing the 3 flashes are over in less than a second which is practically useless on a busy motorway. So the LED indicators have been removed and replaced with the original halogen ones.

Thankfully the DRL LED's are not causing any issues and remain in place.

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Tue May 19, 2020 8:00 am

Interesting. I've not noticed any increase in the indicator flash speed after changing the bulbs to LEDs. Perhaps I found some higher rated LED bulbs with power consumption nearer to the incandescent bolbs.

There is a potential safety issue with having LED DRLs in the same cluster as relatively dim incandescent indicator bulbs: The indicators are hard to discern against the bright background of the LEDs. There's a lot of vehicles in the roads with this problem as that's how they came from the factories and the people dreaming up the regulations don't seem to have woken up to this problem. Sensibly, there should be a mininum distance between DRLs and the indicators or let the DRL flash together with the indicator bulb. Look at oncoming vehicles which are indicating to turn to see this problem. I don't think it's just my eyes, although they are well past their best.

Hadleys Taxi

Post by Hadleys Taxi » Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Unfortunately that is the issue with fitting aftermarket LED's to a vehicle. The reviews about all the sets I tried were a mixture of; they caused hyperflashing, they worked perfectly with no issues, to some that reported they worked perfectly on one side, but caused hyperflashing on the other.

Unfortunately in my case they caused hyperflashing on both sides, front and rear, and so are a no no.

If you can remember what and where you bought the LED's you installed I may give it another go.

Many thanks,

HT

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am

I've checked my ebay emails and my vehicle and concluded that I couldn't find any suitable coloured LED indicator bulbs so they are still the original incandescent bulbs. In terms of power consumption the impact is negligible as those bulbs aren't clocking up many operating hours (unlike the DRLs). For the record, I attach the details of the three types of bulb that I am using. The first one which says brake light bulbs are used for the DRL / side lights, the second is for the boot and the third is for the reversing lights (the end of the bulb contains more LEDs on the end similar to the first bulb).

I also checked the visibiity of the front indicators when the DRLs are operating and it's easy to distinguish between the two bulbs. Nonetheless my previous comment about not being able to clearly see the indicator bulbs adjacent to DRLs on some vehicles still stands.

LED DRL side light bulbs.JPG

LED boot light bulb.JPG

Reversing bulbs.JPG