Engine management light and EP flashing

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
marco polo

Engine management light and EP flashing

Post by marco polo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:04 am

Hi, I couldn’t post on the previous thread as it is locked.

I have just had this fault on a 4 year old diesel car that is out of warranty.

I am taking the car to a local garage ( not Honda )

Any advice I can give them, any body have a final solution apart from selling the car!

Cheers

marco polo

Re: Engine management light and EP flashing

Post by marco polo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:04 pm

I phoned Honda and they said there are two af sensors both are roughly £700 each to replace. (1 hour labour for each )

Looking online the Lambda af sensors are £60 and £85 that seems a really high mark up if they are the same Af sensors that a google search brought up. https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/honda/hr-v-ru/116067/10148/lambda-sensor

Has anyone had to pay for a sensor replacement out of warranty?

marco polo

Post by marco polo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Took the car to my local garage, initially he replaced the emi MAF sensor, this cleared the problem for a few days.

Tried a new battery next, my battery was at 71% and the garage reconned battery wasn’t the problem but replaced it anyway ( I asked for it to be replaced ) this cleared the problem for a few days.

Back to the garage who then performed a smoke test and it turned out a pipe leading on to a MAF sensor had a small pin prick size hole in it. Pipe replaced.

That’s been two weeks now and it seems to be fine.

John Ratsey

Post by John Ratsey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks for the update. I think there's a lesson here: Bits of pipe can be less reliable than the expensive hardware and a very small leak is enough to upset the system.
My HR-V: 2016 HR-V 1.5 SE i-VTEC CVT Previously Mk 3 Jazz SE i-VTEC CVT

marco polo

Post by marco polo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:39 pm

No problem John, hope it helps someone else out if they are out of warranty

The garage also put the original sensor back in just in case that wasn’t the problem but the sensor was dead, he reckoned the hole in the pipe caused the sensor to break.

The sensor cost £238 and the pipe was about £90 and I believe they are genuine parts.

The garage was fantastic as they could just have said go to Honda but they could not do enough to get the problem fixed.

If anyone has the same problem in the Glasgow area then I can’t recommend Spannerama in East Kilbride enough.