Towbar Wiring

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda HR-V
dipstick

Towbar Wiring

Post by dipstick » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Could anyone tell where the towbar harness connector is on a 2016 UK HR-V please.

MartinLB

Re: Towbar Wiring

Post by MartinLB » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:01 am

There are 2 points where it connects both behind the rear boot cover, mine are two multi sockets, one just left of centre and one on the right about where the boot floor dips for the spare wheel if that helps, but note there is no access for a caravan 12 volt supply (ie fridge or charging) to do that I added my own wire (20 amp) from the 13 pin plug up to the boot accessory point and use a heavy duty plug (15amp fused).
Honda HR-V EX i-VTEC 1.5 manual Orchid White
previous Concerto 1.6 white, Civic EX 1.6 silver

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 am

Thank you MartinLB I will go and have a look, I have fitted a Brink Towbar and 7 pin socket and now need to hook it up to the bypass relay and connect into the Honda electrics.

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:49 pm

I removed all the floor and spare wheel trim and both the load space side panels and couln't find any harness connections for towing electrics.

I wanted to connect a 7pin trailerboard socket.

There is a 12v outlet socket on the right (O/S) side panel rated at 180W so I connected to this with an inline fuse to power the bypass relay (Ryder) and spliced into the rear light wires to the 4 pin plugs coming from the tail light clusters. Soldered and shrink sleeved the splices and all work a treat.

If any more information needed on this subject just ask.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm surprised to hear that, when I got inside to wire up my 12 volt supply I followed the loom back from the towing socket and the wires were plugged int the two sockets, quite small considering they are for the trailer light circuits. My model is the EX maybe yours is a model that doesn't have them.
After contacting several towbar fitting companies and hearing they would need to "trim" the chassis (of my brand new car) to fit their units I opted for the Honda option so there would be no warranty problems

Steve_m

Post by Steve_m » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 am

The Genuine Honda towbar wiring connects into the rear lighting circuits by connecting between an already present connector, this therefore makes it plug and play, if you want to connect a non-genuine electrics these would have to be spliced into the rear lighting circuit as they would not have the connectors to bridge the gap. There is no specific one plug that you connect towbar wiring.

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Thank you MartinLB and Steve_m. I bought my vehicle 2nd hand and the Reg Doc says it's a HR-V EXI-VTEC but I have no idea what the EXI means. I'm guessing your car already had a towing socket fitted Martin and you were telling me where the cables for it were. I was fitting from scratch so guess I was looking for something that didn't exist. I see what you mean Steve and wish I had known about intermediate series connectors as I may have looked to buy some to save the splicing. The original wires are so tiny though, that power the LED brake and side lights, I would have worried that connecting a trailer board with an array of filament lamps may overload these wires. As I used a bypass relay the current of the trailer board lamps surely won't overload anything existing on the original wiring, and the power is provided by the load space socket (180W). All's well that ends well, thank you both for your help.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Dipstick have you thought about replacing the trailer lights with led ones? I did that on the caravan and found the lights were so much better plus the load factor is much lower. I had Honda fit my set up when I ordered the car.

dipstick

Post by dipstick » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:41 pm

It's a good idea Martin I will replace them with LED as they fail (I have 4 different light boards for all my trailers) The filament lamps do seem to last a lot longer than years ago these days though. I can't remember when I last changed one to be honest.
Thanks again.

MartinLB

Post by MartinLB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Judging by the cars with defective lights I see every day on the roads I don't think anyone checks their lights theses days. Having spent a lifetime servicing and prepping aircraft I just automatically do a "walk round" when I'm using the car, common sense really... tyres, fuel, windscreen washer fluid, lights, etc.
Remember to replace in pairs :-)

Return to “Faults & Technical”